How to move /home to separate partition after... [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Eko_taas

How to move /home to separate partition after... [Solved]

Post by Eko_taas »

(Open new subject as might have a interest for thers as well. Tried to ask similar thing under other subject, but answers (like subjects talks about re-install)...)

As undestood, it would be better to have /home in it's own partition for easier upgrades (unforunately auto-instal did not propose that).

If I want to move my /home to other partition w/o re-installing whole LM10 (with manual disk settings), how to do that?
(my HD seems to have free (old unused W2k recovery) with 4GB. Partition seen now as /windows_Old.

Easy part is to copy /home to /windows_Old (incl. hidden files), but what do I have to change in system-soul (to tell that /home has moved to other address)?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How to move /home to separate partition after nstallatio

Post by caf4926 »

I am not absolutely sure. But my gut feeling is you need to re-install. If you were asking about where you actually had a /home partition and wanted to move it, yes. But in your case, it's integrated with /
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
oobetimer

Re: How to move /home to separate partition after nstallatio

Post by oobetimer »

How to move home to the separate partition

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... te#p319812

Return to “Beginner Questions”