Noob Q's Part 1

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Noob Q's Part 1

Postby Phin-Rott on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:06 pm

About two weeks ago I got fed up with Windows XP and gave it the ol' heave-ho. It's no coincidence that this coincided with the purchase of a magazine with a Sabayon Linux distro. Although the LiveCD rocked my face my noobness left me high and dry when I actually installed it. I couldn't for the life of me get my eye candy back. But no big, I'd already jumped in head first (no dual-boot for me) so I thought maybe Fedora might do it for me. Again, no luck, which is of course a reflection of myself and not the distros. So, I went through a small pack of DVD-Rs and CD-Rs before finding Linux Mint.
The screen shots left me green with envy. (Bad Mint joke?)
So I Dled it, gave it about 30 minutes and Whamo! Good times.

So, to my real purpose of this post:

I know this is going to sound misguided (perhaps) but I want to keep all of my eye candy but lighten up my load.
I've got LM 3.1 Celena on some value brand PC called an eMachines.
It's smooth as #e!!, but I would just like to stream line whats installed. (Some 1246 packages)

If anyone good nudge me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated, and if I've left out any key info, let me know and I'll get back to you.

Thanks!!!

PS It my be a little dorky (OR NOT!!!) but my excitedness led to me giving my *cough*space account a minty sheen. http://www.myspace.com/phinrott
Phin-Rott
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby BlahBlah_X on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:14 pm

Okay.

Open up Synaptic and search Amarok. Scroll down untill you see the package Amarok. Right click on it and select Completely Remove. Click okay to any windows that pop up. Now, search Exaile. Right click on that and select Install. Then, up at the top, Click Apply, and then Apply again.

Your machine should get lighter, because you just removed a media player with a bunch of extra files and replaced it with another great media player that has less extra files.
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions