[SOLVED] Installation Problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jptmint

[SOLVED] Installation Problem

Post by jptmint »

I am having trouble installing Mint 10. When I choose normal install, it goes to the loading screen then the next thing I see is a totally garbled screen. If I choose compatibility mode, it goes to the loading screen and then I end up at a command line with messed up font but still readable. I currently have Mint 8 on this machine and it works fine although I had to install under compatibility mode. I suspect this is a graphics card issue?

CPU: Intel Q6600
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
Ram: Crucial Ballistix DDR2 4GB
Graphics card: EVGA 7800GT
Sound card: E-mu 1212m
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Installation Problem

Post by caf4926 »

It does sound like graphics
But did you run the media check?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
jptmint

Post by jptmint »

caf4926 wrote:It does sound like graphics
But did you run the media check?
yes, and it passed...
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

Are you able to run a live session from either a CD or usb?
jptmint

Post by jptmint »

inktitan wrote:Are you able to run a live session from either a CD or usb?
No, previously mentioned things happen before I can get to a usable live session. I'm assuming garbled screen is of the live session desktop.
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

Have you tried this disk in another computer? It is my first guess that the disk may have either a bad image on it. You download the .iso again and burn it on your slowest setting. I prefer to use k3b. It does the md5sum check for you. Another problem could be that your video card is not supported or the drivers aren't present yet. Can you post the inxi -G from the 8 session? There is a way to upgrade to the newer versions without the disks. Unless you are trying to have this on a separate partition. I know you did the media test but I don't know how good that is. If you can set the resolution to around 800x600, 832x624 you might be able to use the desktop in the live session but I don't know what kind of garbled you are getting. Let me know what that inxi -G is please and I will see how I can help from there.
jptmint

Post by jptmint »

inktitan wrote:Have you tried this disk in another computer? It is my first guess that the disk may have either a bad image on it. You download the .iso again and burn it on your slowest setting. I prefer to use k3b. It does the md5sum check for you. Another problem could be that your video card is not supported or the drivers aren't present yet. Can you post the inxi -G from the 8 session? There is a way to upgrade to the newer versions without the disks. Unless you are trying to have this on a separate partition. I know you did the media test but I don't know how good that is. If you can set the resolution to around 800x600, 832x624 you might be able to use the desktop in the live session but I don't know what kind of garbled you are getting. Let me know what that inxi -G is please and I will see how I can help from there.
Live USB works fine on my netbook. I would like to do a fresh installation.

Graphics: Card nVidia G70 [GeForce 7800 GT] X.Org 1.6.4 Res: 1680x1050@50.0hz
GLX Renderer GeForce 7800 GT/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 185.18.36

normal

compatibility mode
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

OK in comp mode see if you can run jockey-gtk. this should help you get the drivers you need but it has a GUI that may not work. If that is the case you can run lynx (text based web browser) and go to smxi.org and download the smxi/sgfxi tool and use sgfxi to get the appropriate drivers. let me know how this turns out.
jptmint

Post by jptmint »

inktitan wrote:OK in comp mode see if you can run jockey-gtk. this should help you get the drivers you need but it has a GUI that may not work. If that is the case you can run lynx (text based web browser) and go to smxi.org and download the smxi/sgfxi tool and use sgfxi to get the appropriate drivers. let me know how this turns out.
ok, I will try that tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
jptmint

Post by jptmint »

Jockey-gtk was a no-go. I ran smxi and got the driver. It fixed the messed up font but in the end, I chose 'start-desktop' and got...

Attempting to start default display manager gdm now...
nohup: ignoring input and appending output to 'nophup.out'
init: missing runlevel
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

jptmint wrote:Jockey-gtk was a no-go. I ran smxi and got the driver. It fixed the messed up font but in the end, I chose 'start-desktop' and got...

Attempting to start default display manager gdm now...
nohup: ignoring input and appending output to 'nophup.out'
init: missing runlevel
I have to be honest. I don't know what that means. Did the desktop start? I'm guessing no. Well, at least we have somewhere else to go from there.
jptmint

Post by jptmint »

inktitan wrote: I have to be honest. I don't know what that means. Did the desktop start? I'm guessing no. Well, at least we have somewhere else to go from there.
Desktop did not start. Just gave me those lines.
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

try this link. http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Nohup

EDIT:sorry that link is kind of useless. I put the wrong one. I will try to find the other again.
jptmint

Re: [SOLVED] Installation Problem

Post by jptmint »

Found a solution on Ubuntu forum. Adding 'nomodeset' to boot options allowed me to get to live session without garbled screen.
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

jptmint wrote:Found a solution on Ubuntu forum. Adding 'nomodeset' to boot options allowed me to get to live session without garbled screen.
nomodeset is a new one for me. I'll have to remember that. Glad you found that.
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

smxi / sgfxi should have added nomodeset automatically if required, and told you that a reboot was required.

However, I can't really tell what happened in this thread so I'll ignore it for now.
jptmint

Post by jptmint »

h2-1 wrote:and told you that a reboot was required.
At one point it did. But what would be the point in rebooting in a live session... or does it not mean machine reboot...
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

jptmint wrote:
h2-1 wrote:and told you that a reboot was required.
At one point it did. But what would be the point in rebooting in a live session... or does it not mean machine reboot...
I think they didn't realize you were on a live session. Because you are right a reboot would have just reset everything unless you managed to find the "save live session" option that is present with some distros.

Return to “Beginner Questions”