[Solved] Can't change resolution in Mint 10 Julia

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Static

[Solved] Can't change resolution in Mint 10 Julia

Post by Static »

For some reason, I cannot change the resolution of my monitor. The only thing shown is a resolution of 1024 x 768 along with 0 Hz and a normal rotation for an "Unknown" monitor. I want the resolution to be 1280x1024 (Maximum resolution), but everything I tried doesn't work. I have an Intel integrated graphics card which might be causing the problems, but I doubt it. I recently did a clean install of Mint 10 after using Mint 9. Mint 9 was causing random crashes earlier. The install was successful, md5 passed, disk integrity check passed, installed without errors, just this one issue and it's driving me up the wall :(
Linux Mint 9 didn't have this problem which makes it even more confusing. Here's some info about the system:

System info:

Code: Select all

Release 10 (Julia)
Kernel Linux2.6.35-22-generic
Gnome 2.32.0
Memory 1GB
Processor Intel Pentium 4
CPU 2.66GHz
Graphics card Intel 82845G/GL
Graphics driver 2.1 Mesa 7.9-devel
uname -a output:

Linux Delli 2.6.35-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Sun Sep 19 20:34:50 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
xrandr output:

xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1024 x 768, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1024x768        0.0* 
I think "default connected" should actually be something like "VGA1 connected"

"inxi -G" output:

Graphics:  Card Intel 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device X.Org 1.9.0 Res: 1024x768@0.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Software Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.9-devel
lspci output:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 01)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 81)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DB (ICH4) IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
01:05.0 Communication controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem
01:09.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 100Base-T (rev 01)
Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
inktitan

Re: Can't change resolution in Mint 10 Julia

Post by inktitan »

Graphics driver 2.1 Mesa 7.9-devel
Was this the same driver you used in 9?

Does running jockey-gtk in terminal give you any proprietary drivers options?

You could check out smxi.org and download/install the smxi/sgfxi tool then hit ctrl+alt+F1 log in as root type sgfxi then follow the steps and see if it gives you the right drivers.

Also what are the specs on your monitor if you have them?
Static

Post by Static »

Glad I left the Live CD from Mint 9 :)
The driver on the live cd was

1.3 Mesa 7.7.1
I already tried jockey-gtk before. Nothing.
As for monitor specs, what would you need? Maximum res is 1280x1024 at 60 Hz, though it could be higher for lower resolutions, and it's a CRT DELL monitor.
lshw output:

*-display
             description: VGA compatible controller
             product: 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
             version: 01
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
             configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
             resources: irq:16 memory:e8000000-efffffff memory:feb80000-febfffff
I'll try the smxi/sgfxi tool now.
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

I'll try the smxi/sgfxi tool now.
Let me know if you need help with that tool, It is nice for solving graphics issues. And if you live in the US you do not want to run a CRT at 60 Hz as that is the same frequency as your incandescent lights. It will cause unnecessary eye strain. But I think the sgfxi should do the trick. Knowing you have the CRT monitor is probably all the specs I need LCD and LED are a little more touchy because they are digital. CRTs are analog so can work (in theory) with a wider range of resolutions. Keep me posted.
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

sgfxi will not help I believe on intel cards, I don't see what difference it would make personally, all it will do is update the xorg intel driver which is already probably updated. And create an xorg.conf file, which may do nothing or may do something, hard to say.

sgfxi is mostly for ati/nvidia cards, though of course you can use it to force explicit installs of various drivers, but I think the intel stuff is all packaged in one now anyway so that wouldn't really help.

You can see in /var/log/Xorg.0.log what driver is being used by Xorg, if it's the wrong one, then yes maybe sgfxi can make it use the right one, if it's the right one, intel, then it's not going to do much to help.
Static

Post by Static »

YAY, I pressed random buttons and it worked!!! :D
Too bad I can only have 60Hz at 1280x1024. If I want 70Hz, 75Hz, or 85Hz, I have to go lower :(. Can't have everything in life. As far as I understood, that tool updated the kernel and did a dist-upgrade which somehow fixed the monitor detection issue. Could it be because I chose to add an xorg.conf file there along with installing xorg drivers? I still don't get how it works :oops:
I'll need to make sure I didn't select a wrong option there.

BTW, I think I did smxi instead of sgfxi (can't tell, too sleepy and forgetful), and I did it through sudo instead of logging in as root. Is that bad?
Thanks again inktitan!!!

EDIT: just checked, it was smxi :oops:

EDIT2: WOW, my graphics are running wa-a-ay faster than before! How in the world did this happen? Even the 3d stuff runs at a normal speed! This tool is awesome! 8)
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

Static wrote:YAY, I pressed random buttons and it worked!!! :D
Too bad I can only have 60Hz at 1280x1024. If I want 70Hz, 75Hz, or 85Hz, I have to go lower :(. Can't have everything in life. As far as I understood, that tool updated the kernel and did a dist-upgrade which somehow fixed the monitor detection issue. Could it be because I chose to add an xorg.conf file there along with installing xorg drivers? I still don't get how it works :oops:
I'll need to make sure I didn't select a wrong option there.

BTW, I think I did smxi instead of sgfxi (can't tell, too sleepy and forgetful), and I did it through sudo instead of logging in as root. Is that bad?
Thanks again inktitan!!!

EDIT: just checked, it was smxi :oops:

EDIT2: WOW, my graphics are running wa-a-ay faster than before! How in the world did this happen? Even the 3d stuff runs at a normal speed! This tool is awesome! 8)
I only learned about it the other day in another post with a different graphics issue. It is a great tool. Sudo give you temporary root rights so it is fine using that. It all works the same in the end...most of the time. Xorg.conf is important. But it is mostly useless if the wrong drivers are in use. So I like to make sure the right ones are in place. If it is that much faster they are. Glad to help :mrgreen:
GJQ

Re: [Solved] Can't change resolution in Mint 10 Julia

Post by GJQ »

Hi Static,

1.3 Mesa 7.7.1
I do not understand on this part. Where did u get this information? Running jockey-gtk give me nothing also. I have download and install smxi onto the system. Pressing ctrl+alt+F1 give me the tty screen but typing sgfxi did not bring out anything. Can you provide a step by step config?

This is are some information. My monitor is a Samtron 15"CRT
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 01
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:16 memory:f0000000-f7ffffff memory:ffa80000-ffafffff

Thank you
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

inxi -G can give you that info. If you follow the steps at http://smxi.org it should explain how to use sgfxi. Good luck. If you need more help on this you should really post a new topic.This will get very little attention now that it has been solved.
degarb

Post by degarb »

inktitan wrote:inxi -G can give you that info. If you follow the steps at http://smxi.org it should explain how to use sgfxi. Good luck. If you need more help on this you should really post a new topic.This will get very little attention now that it has been solved.

My ge chip set is blanking out, randomly every so many hours. I see very little to explain what these scripts are for, who they are for. Some instruction in applying. Nothing in reversing. Creepy.

I just want a driver that will work.
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

degarb,
I recommend that you should start a new topic for this to get the proper attention you are seeking.

Return to “Beginner Questions”