Mint 10 or Fluxbox 9? Maybe a mixture?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jehicks87

Mint 10 or Fluxbox 9? Maybe a mixture?

Post by jehicks87 »

I am taking the dive... and installing mint. I like the idea of Mint 10, it looks very polished and nice. But, I'm running a netbook (Acer Aspire One w/ Atom n450 1.66 ghz 512kb Cache, 1 gb RAM, 160 HDD). I love the thought of Fluxbox and that it is so lightweight, and I like the menu navigation in theory at least.

My question is, which would I be better served installing and using? Mint 10 with GNOME, MintFluxbox9, or Mint 10 with Fluxbox window manager? The last seems the least attractive to me, all the relative heft of GNOME with the minimalistic approach of Fluxbox. Kind of self-canceling, innit?

I mostly surf the internet, use office, watch videos, upload pictures and I skype all the time (I'm deployed and it's the main way to get ahold of family and friends back home). The problem I'm having with windows 7 is every time I start a video or start skype it slooooowwwwwwsssss my computer down so badly. So, what's best suited to my intentions and hardware? MUCH thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
asymmetros

Re: Mint 10 or Fluxbox 9? Maybe a mixture?

Post by asymmetros »

Julia's system requirements:

x86 processor (Linux Mint 64-bit requires a 64-bit processor. Linux Mint 32-bit works on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors).
512 MB of system memory (RAM)
4 GB of disk space for installation
Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution
CD-ROM drive or USB port

With 1gb of ram, i think it 's up to you what to choose. And as you can see from my signature (Gnome +Openbox) obviously i dont believe that Fluxbox +Gnome is self-cancelling. In every login, i choose if i work in Gnome or in Openbox (or in Xfce).
There are many ways to do things in Linux -and everyone has his likes and dislikes. And you ll find out in practice what suits you more.
jehicks87

Post by jehicks87 »

Thank you so much for your reply. I began downloading the mint 10 version first (a whole 15 hours ago... yeah, the internet is THAT SLOW in Afghanistan) so I'm going to load it, see how it does, and then maybe d/l fluxbox later to piddle around with, or even switch to fluxbox mint 10 when it comes out.

Cross your fingers for me... this will be the fourth or fifth time I try to do a hard drive install, but the first for mint 10.
jehicks87

Post by jehicks87 »

jehicks87 wrote:Thank you so much for your reply. I began downloading the mint 10 version first (a whole 15 hours ago... yeah, the internet is THAT SLOW in Afghanistan) so I'm going to load it, see how it does, and then maybe d/l fluxbox later to piddle around with, or even switch to fluxbox mint 10 when it comes out.

Cross your fingers for me... this will be the fourth or fifth time I try to do a hard drive install, but the first for mint 10.
Mint 10 didn't install for me. I tried Mint KDE 9 again, and it didn't install for me either. So, I tried LMDE... it installed. Hooray.

Return to “Beginner Questions”