Sound recording won't work Mint 10

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
/Zoran\

Sound recording won't work Mint 10

Post by /Zoran\ »

I tried in audacity and the default sound recorder, i have these settings

The best i managed is getting noise, when i set the volume to the max for the mic in the first pic. Also recording works in windows...

halp, please... :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pythagorean

Re: Sound recording won't work Mint 10

Post by pythagorean »

In the sound preferences gui where you have the device under RECORDING set to "default" I have mine set to PULSE and it works.
/Zoran\

Post by /Zoran\ »

i tried it, and it still doesn't work, i tried all the options there, all the options in Sound Manager, the first pic.....and nothing, am i missing something, or sound recording just isn't possible on my machine, cause i read a lot of post from people with similar problems....
pythagorean

Post by pythagorean »

I always end up going through menu after menu ticking boxes and selecting possible sound sources etc etc. I would say yours probably works but since you have to get several check boxes and options in perfect alignment, it is very much an art not a science.

I always start with... where does the sound come from? Pulse audio? If so, then everything has to be clicked in the menus to reflect that... etc etc.

Its a major bummer. Half the time I just end up rebooting into windows or recording into my little SANSA device. I also use a two ended mic-in/line-out cable to connect the headphones of one of my computers to the mic jack of another of my computers.

Incidentally, I did get pulse audio to play over my ethenet once. once.

The computer wizards who might read this someday will no doubt just shake their heads in disgust. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
pythagorean

Post by pythagorean »

Zoran your question really got to me so I spent some time looking at the menus and options and I successfully recorded through the mic-in jack with audacity and then also I was able to record a song playing on my desktop with audacity as well.

For MIC-IN Jack

In pulse audio volume control I went to configuration and selected ANALOG STEREO DUPLEX
this caused "Internal Audio Analog Stereo" to appear in the "sound preferences" under "Input."

I checked in Audacity under preferences and indeed under "Devices" it shows

Host: ALSA
Playback: default
Recording: default

For DESKTOP recording

Everything as above except in the pulse audio volume control I went to "Input Devices" and selected "All Input Devices." This cause "Monitor of Internal Audio Analog Stereo" to appear and I could record what was playing on my desktop through Rhythmbox with Audacity (same preferences as above).
/Zoran\

Post by /Zoran\ »

@pythagorean thank you for your help, i tried everything what you said, but with no luck, here is what i have:

For MIC IN
In pulse audio volume control I went to configuration and selected ANALOG STEREO DUPLEX
CHECK
this caused "Internal Audio Analog Stereo" to appear in the "sound preferences" under "Input."
CHECK

Code: Select all

I checked in Audacity under preferences and indeed under "Devices" it shows

Host: ALSA
Playback: default
Recording: default
CHECK

Additional things that i have done, updated everything related to pulseaudio and alsamixer, and i checked if alsamixer mic volume is up and unmuted. I also installed gnome-alsamixer from synaptic, but i think that's just gui for the alsamixer that i have in terminal

RESULT
It still doesn't work, all i hear is just white noise (only if i turn the mic volume all the way up), i'm starting to think that it's maybe related to the fact that i have HD audio output, now i'm not sure, but maybe i also have HD input, if there is such a thing, and it won't work cause it's not compatible with HD, since i have only option for Analog, if that makes sense.

For DESKTOP
Everything as above except in the pulse audio volume control I went to "Input Devices" and selected "All Input Devices." This cause "Monitor of Internal Audio Analog Stereo" to appear and I could record what was playing on my desktop through Rhythmbox with Audacity (same preferences as above).
I don't have All Input Devices under Input, see below

(I tried Digital stereo duplex for mic jack recording, i tried all of these, doesn't work.)

So i don't see a way how i could record desktop, maybe i have to install some additional packages, maybe i need to install some additional packages for my mic to run to, but i don't know which one.

ANYWAY

Something new happened, i remembered that i have USB webcam, i plugged the webcam in and voila

I can record sound in Mint, true i use a webcam, but the end justifies the means :D ....
I still don't like the fact that i can't record with my soundcard, but the main thing is that i can record...
mick55

Post by mick55 »

@/Zoran\

I can clearly see in your screenshot of alsamixer that your mic is MUTED.

The "mm" at the bottom of the line and mic columns means MUTED.

Arrow to the mic column and press "m" on the keyboard to UNMUTE it.

It doesn't matter how high the volume is if it's MUTED. :wink:

mick
/Zoran\

Post by /Zoran\ »

Hmmmm, i didn't notice that, my mistake, but even with these settings:

It still doesn't record sound with internal mic, is there something wrong now?
mick55

Post by mick55 »

[quote="/Zoran\"]is there something wrong now?[/quote]

It sure looks that way. :lol:

At least now you know it's not MUTED. :wink:

First try the obvious and check ALL the different volume controls.

Run this command in a terminal

pavucontrol
and then this one

gnome-volume-control
Perhaps something needs to be adjusted in Audacity.

mick
/Zoran\

Post by /Zoran\ »

We have some progress, i managed to record DESKTOP Sound, when i used the pavucontrol to change the failsafe input to Monitor of internal audio stereo, see here:

And you can see here that mic settings are ok, and gnome-volume is also ok, the screenshots for that are before, but i can't record with internal mic....
pythagorean

Post by pythagorean »

In that last screenshot image, under the configuration tab, you should pick "ANALOG DUPLEX STEREO" or anyway experiment with different settings in there.

Return to “Beginner Questions”