Partitions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
msp53

Partitions

Post by msp53 »

I'm now live on Mint Fluxbox. :D Quick install. Very nice.

I read Fred's advice on a separate partition for /home. From my limited experience it seems like a good idea, but I did not see any way to do this on install. Can I do this after install and if so how?

Another question is about automatic upgrades. I have had applications fail after Windows auto upgrades. I've had my system slow to a crawl after Ubuntu upgrades and this laptop lost its video after a Kubuntu upgrade.

If everything is working like I want it, is there any reason to allow upgrades? If I use a separate partition for /home would I not be better to do an occasional complete install? If it doesn't work I can get out the old CD and reinstall something that does and I can do it when I want to, not when the system wants to which is usually at the worst possible time.

Mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Partitions

Post by wayne128 »

I read Fred's advice on a separate partition for /home. From my limited experience it seems like a good idea, but I did not see any way to do this on install. Can I do this after install and if so how?
follow this link, should be quite straight forward
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2010/11/14/li ... g-guide/2/
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2010/05/26/ma ... u-10-04/2/
Another question is about automatic upgrades. I have had applications fail after Windows auto upgrades. I've had my system slow to a crawl after Ubuntu upgrades and this laptop lost its video after a Kubuntu upgrade.
If everything is working like I want it, is there any reason to allow upgrades?
Usually I do not follow auto update on windows.
I also do not follow auto update.
If I use a separate partition for /home would I not be better to do an occasional complete install? If it doesn't work I can get out the old CD and reinstall something that does and I can do it when I want to, not when the system wants to which is usually at the worst possible time.
Each person has his own way of thinking and practice, there are always pro and cons.
For me, I multi boot a lots, so I keep whatever version running, when there is upcoming newer version , I install it on new partition, keeping old version intact. I found often update broke , due to many reasons, however I do not have any worry nowadays because I have a running version and another 'experimental version'. At time, for a good OS, I may even have several desktop versions on each partitions. All these are possible because of huge capacity of hard disk, USB disk, and each Linux only needs around 10G to run. I share a large NTFS partition for all Linux and Win for each of the hard disk. This is just my practice. There is no right or wrong on each method.
Yes, when the time for installation is very short, you have some 'freedom'. If you use a separate /home, if have advantage of 'keeping user info and data' intact when you upgrade, provided you remember NOT to allow installer to format the /home.
Dave68

Re: Partitions

Post by Dave68 »

In my very minimal experiance, I use gparted from the Live CD to set my partitions. As you go through the install process, you should choose the advanced install options. Have / formatted, leave /home alone, and point the new (fresh) install to /.

Once you boot up, you should be able to see the XXGB Partition you have created for /home.

This is my process, but as has already been stated, others may vary.

I have opted to stay with Mint Isadora (9) since it was an LTS (3 years of support). It is very good at handling the things I do so I have no reason to change, at this point. When Mint 12 comes out, I will switch to that. (If I've calculated correctly, that should be the next LTS) Should I find a must have new Minty Feature, I may very well switch at that time. It's freedom of choice with Linux.

Good, bad or otherwise, they are your choices, and ones that you decide to make. The wonderul thing about them being your choices is that you can change your mind, and partition differently, and possibly find a better way whenever you want.

As far as Mint Updates: I have made sure to disable all Level 3 Updates and Below (4 and 5). I haven't had any problems thus far with that strategy.

Have Fun, and Welcome to Mint,
Dave

Return to “Beginner Questions”