multiple desktops

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

multiple desktops

Postby Roel on Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:19 pm

I don't consider me to be a newbie but I think this questions qualifies for this forum :)

I've grown used to have multiple desktops, with a desktop switching thingy in the taskbar. I'ts annoying that Ubuntu only enables 2 by default but where did they go in Mint?

If I enable the Beryl cube I have 4 again but I'd rather not have it running all the time because it makes my music lag if I do some audio editing and it has to be disabled to run games anyway.

What do I have to do to get 4 desktops?

Thanks!
Roel
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby calumc on Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:42 pm

simply rightclick the panel > add to panel > workspace switcher
calumc
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Lolo Uila on Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:50 pm

You could add the Workspace Switcher to your tool panel (task bar). Right-Click on an empty part of the tool panel and select Add to Panel...

Note that Workspaces and Viewports are not the same. Beryl uses a single workspace with 4 viewports, while the GNOME Workspace Switcher uses 4 workspaces with a single viewport each.

Aloha, Tim
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Roel on Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:10 pm

Thanks,

I added them but when I switched the taskbar was gone so I had to ctrl-backspace, it's working now but it lags when I switch.

I also did some quick reading about workspace vs viewports :)
Roel
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions