Disk Check Fails on Boot up [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brettsworldtrip

Disk Check Fails on Boot up [SOLVED]

Post by Brettsworldtrip »

Hi,

I am running Mint 9 on an Acer AspireOne D255 netbook. On boot up, it gives the following error :

"WMI : Unable to detect available WMID devices"

Is this connected to the hard disk or WIFI driver? (if the wifi driver, I'll ignore it as solved that through "Hardware Drivers" 8) )

The problem I seem to be having is that when the (occasionally scheduled) automatic disk check starts on boot up, the drive doesn't do anything and nothing gets checked :? . The computer just sits doing nothing (no drive light on), until I press 'c' to cancel the check.

Is there a way I can run a disk/file-system check after logging in?

Thanks for any tips or terminal commands you can put my way :) ,
Regards
Brett
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Disk Check Fails on Boot up

Post by remoulder »

See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1587928 for a possible workaround. According to http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=8 a BIOS update may fix the problem. The disk check is a known issue, there are various posts about it if you search. You have to run a disk check before the file system is mounted so it can't be done after log in.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Brettsworldtrip

Re: Disk Check Fails on Boot up [SOLVED]

Post by Brettsworldtrip »

Hi,

Thanks for the links. I put the problem into the search first, but i was looking for the problem, didn't think that it could just be with acer machines.

Problem [SOLVED]

Thanks for your help
Brett

Return to “Beginner Questions”