Linux Mint 3.1 dell inspiron 9400

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Linux Mint 3.1 dell inspiron 9400

Postby jerrylucas on Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:03 pm

I'm totally new at any linux os, just windows experience. And i wanted to try out Linux Mint, because an article said that it was SO easy! so i downloaded the iso file and burned it. rebooted and pushed enter on start Linux Mint. But then it soon stoped! could'nt detect X or something! So instead of seeing a beatiful desktop(as promised) i was stuck in a "ugly" black screen!

What have i've done wrong? and what should i do?
jerrylucas
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:08 pm

sorry - i am new too - but can you be more specific as to what you did? are you running live CD or are you installing?
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Postby jerrylucas on Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:18 am

running the live cd! and then was the plan to install it!
jerrylucas
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gollum1971 on Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:32 am

Welcome jerrylucas.

There are lots of threads on this problem I had it too, so have a wander around the forum its fun !

Normally its as simple as using good quality discs, burning your disc as slow as possible then, checking the md5 sum on your burned disc.

Dunno why but I had to reset the settings in my bios to get mine to work (Prob coz I like messing about) but no-one else seems to have had to do this, so last resort thing ok.

Im sure our friendly moderators and Mint programmers will come up with a better solution for you so be patient, what will help them is if you still cant get it working, put up your computer specs, ie - laptop, desktop? proccessor and all that stuff !

good luck

Aiden
gollum1971
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:49 am

Here are some tips for troubleshooting the livecd.
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby jerrylucas on Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:26 pm

my computers specs are:
ati x1400
dual core t7200 2ghz
2 gb ram

i just tried to boot by removing "quite splash --" with both "break=bottom" and the with "break=top", but it did'nt work!

maybe i should try another linux version that you guys know works with my pc! But it must be a bit easy since i'm new at this!
jerrylucas
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:57 pm

You have ati - part of the problem, but mainly later on
Have you tried "Safe graphics mode" and oddly break=button helps on some system (its really nonsense)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions