What to do about "glib-warning **:getpwuid_r(): failed"

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iani

What to do about "glib-warning **:getpwuid_r(): failed"

Post by iani »

Since upgrading to Mint 10 (main) I have an occasional bug; when disconnecting from the internet I get a blank screen and the following warning:

(Process:2xx): Glib-WARNING**: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown uswr id (0)

The process number is not always the same but invariably 200++. At the same time this happens the caps lock light on my keyboard starts flashing on and off. The laptop is frozen and rebooting seems the only option.

I've looked at launchpad and note that this seems to be a generic warning, so could relate (I guess) to anything. Beyond that, to be honest, it all starts to look like gobbledegook to me.

I never experienced this in Mint 8 or 9. What should I do next?

TIA
Ian I
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: What to do about "glib-warning **:getpwuid_r(): failed"

Post by willie42 »

It happens to me too but my system still runs ok. I dont know what causes it but its something from Ubuntu.

hope this helps

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1476454
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
iani

Post by iani »

That thread does not really add anything unfortunately; if you have a look at the bug reports on launchpad its a generic warning that could be indicative of any one of many problems - see post #27 at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/532984.
oakhilltop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by oakhilltop »

iani wrote:Since upgrading to Mint 10 (main) I have an occasional bug; when disconnecting from the internet I get a blank screen and the following warning:

(Process:2xx): Glib-WARNING**: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown uswr id (0)

The process number is not always the same but invariably 200++. At the same time this happens the caps lock light on my keyboard starts flashing on and off. The laptop is frozen and rebooting seems the only option.

I've looked at launchpad and note that this seems to be a generic warning, so could relate (I guess) to anything. Beyond that, to be honest, it all starts to look like gobbledegook to me.

I never experienced this in Mint 8 or 9. What should I do next?

TIA
Ian
I have the exact same symptons. Only since Mint 10 and only when logging in on battery power

Return to “Beginner Questions”