Problems with klamav..

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Problems with klamav..

Postby Samuel E.Krewing on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:31 am

Hello, pro's!

I installed Linux Mint 3.1. Celena, and almost immediately the Clamav+Klamav virus protection(I have serious reasons for that).
The Clamav is the most new, but Klamav is still the version 0.41, while the newest is 0.41.1. I tried to update it through the program itself, but it did not install the new one(downloaded, but not installed). It gave reasons about something I could not understand, nor could remember them.
So, I tried to upgrade it through Terminal this way:
SU
(then I gave the correct password)
apt-get upgrade klamav

The terminal listed some actions, but still told 3 was not upgraded. I hoped the best, and restarted my Mint, and Klamav, but it's still the old 0.41, and it informs me I should update it.

What did I do wrong, and how could I fix it?
Samuel E.Krewing
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:05 am

Please don't cross post. You have posted the exact same post in Suggestions & Feedback which it is not.
That post will be deleted
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Husse on Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:43 pm

I checked in Synaptic (which is a GUI to apt-get) and klamav is 0.41
This means you have tried to upgrade version 0.41 with version 0.41 :lol:
I think you should open Synaptic and reinstall klamav
Not that I think you need antivirus, but if you have "serious reasons", go ahead
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Lolo Uila on Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:59 pm

I'm curious... Why do you think you need an Anti-Virus program?
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Truly, I'm sorry!

Postby Samuel E.Krewing on Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:54 am

Husse wrote:Please don't cross post. You have posted the exact same post in Suggestions & Feedback which it is not.
That post will be deleted

Yes, I noticed I did that. So immediately I tried to delete it my self, but maybe I did not succeed. I am sorry, I was too tired.
Samuel E.Krewing
Level 1
Level 1

The importance of AVs

Postby Samuel E.Krewing on Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:00 am

Lolo Uila wrote:I'm curious... Why do you think you need an Anti-Virus program?

I hope you have watched how the world is changing; almost 100% secure Mac started cooperation with Microsoft, and a result is a huge boom in viruses headed to Mac.
Linux is also cooperating with Microsoft...what do you think will happen?
Samuel E.Krewing
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you!

Postby Samuel E.Krewing on Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:05 am

Husse wrote:I checked in Synaptic (which is a GUI to apt-get) and klamav is 0.41
Not that I think you need antivirus, but if you have "serious reasons", go ahead

Thank you, Husse! I see I've messed a lot.
I will try your suggestion ASAP.

The reason for AV-program is cooperation Linux<->Microsoft. See what happened, when Mac started the same..
Samuel E.Krewing
Level 1
Level 1

No help at all!

Postby Samuel E.Krewing on Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:28 am

Husse wrote:I checked in Synaptic (which is a GUI to apt-get) and klamav is 0.41

Is that emoticon meant to laugh at me? ...well, ok. So I'm an idiot? See what happened;
Husse wrote:I think you should open Synaptic and reinstall klamav

I tried your way, resulting as much as mine. Klamav version 0.41. is still the same...and I'm an idiot??? Think again.
Samuel E.Krewing
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lolo Uila on Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:25 am

Okay dude, take a chill pill. First of all I don't know where you got the idea that Linux is cooperating with Microsoft and becoming less secure as a result. That is some serious misinformation. Secondly, anti virus software in Linux is a waste of disk space, but I don't suppose anything I say to you will convince you of that so you are welcome to run it if it makes you feel better. The reason you are finding little help is because almost no one else here bothers with it. It's not that we don't want to help, we just don't use the stuff.

I took a look at the AV software you mentioned, and the "klamav" component seems to be nothing more than the GUI front end for KDE, not the actual scanner engine. This was probably updated in Gutsy for compatibility reasons. The "clamav" components and data files are the actual virus scanner. As long as those are up to date you should be fine.

The current versions of Mint (Cassandra & Celena) are based on Feisty, not Gutsy. The versions in the repository should be current for Feisty. The next Mint release, "Daryna" will be based on Gutsy.

And finally, you need to understand that many of the people on this board are from different countries and cultures (Husse, for example, is from Sweden) and a lot of them don't speak English as their native language (or speak a culturally different version of English). This makes it easy to misunderstand the meaning of something they say, so you shouldn't be so quick to jump to a negative conclusion. This is one of the friendliest and most helpful boards I have ever been on, and I hang out on a LOT of them.

LOL! "boards" as in Bulletin Board Systems (BBS)! Am I showing my age or what? Make that forums... this is one of the friendliest and most helpful forums I have ever been on. So the next time someone says something that rubs you the wrong way, try and assume it's just a mis-communication or a failed attempt at humor. Because of the diverse bunch we have here that happens from time to time (only it's usually Scorp's fault :p) so don't take it so personally.

Aloha, Tim
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Gimme a bricket..

Postby Samuel E.Krewing on Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:34 am

Lolo Uila wrote:Okay dude, take a chill pill. First of all I don't know where you got the idea that Linux is cooperating with Microsoft and becoming less secure as a result. That is some serious misinformation.

A chill pill..? Check for example the news about Novell and Microsoft, and take those pills too, my pal.
Have you covered your eyes about Macintosh-Microsoft cooperation? Examine it, and stay calm if you can. Macintosh and Linux are based on UNIX, and due to that deplorable cooperation with Microsoft, it's not anymore impossible to break in. There are some viruses and Trojans to Mac, and Linux too. So do you leave your car door open, when you leave it for a day, or two? Is your apartment's doors open all night long? Please, inform the thieves too :wink: .
Lolo Uila wrote:Secondly, anti virus software in Linux is a waste of disk space, but I don't suppose anything I say to you will convince you of that so you are welcome to run it if it makes you feel better. The reason you are finding little help is because almost no one else here bothers with it. It's not that we don't want to help, we just don't use the stuff.

Sad for you not to use them...

Lolo Uila wrote:I took a look at the AV software you mentioned, and the "klamav" component seems to be nothing more than the GUI front end for KDE, not the actual scanner engine. This was probably updated in Gutsy for compatibility reasons. The "clamav" components and data files are the actual virus scanner. As long as those are up to date you should be fine.

The current versions of Mint (Cassandra & Celena) are based on Feisty, not Gutsy. The versions in the repository should be current for Feisty. The next Mint release, "Daryna" will be based on Gutsy.

THESE lines above is useful information! You really do know how the AV stuff works. My thanks!!

Lolo Uila wrote:And finally, you need to understand that many of the people on this board are from different countries and cultures (Husse, for example, is from Sweden) and a lot of them don't speak English as their native language (or speak a culturally different version of English). This makes it easy to misunderstand the meaning of something they say, so you shouldn't be so quick to jump to a negative conclusion. This is one of the friendliest and most helpful boards I have ever been on, and I hang out on a LOT of them.

"first of all", emoticons are not depended on native language.

I noticed "Husse"is from Sweden. Oh, is it too far away from my home country..? I live in Finland. Check the map, in case you're not aware of the distance between these two countrys, and don't you dare to lecture me about misunderstandings!

Lolo Uila wrote:LOL! "boards" as in Bulletin Board Systems (BBS)! Am I showing my age or what? Make that forums... this is one of the friendliest and most helpful forums I have ever been on. So the next time someone says something that rubs you the wrong way, try and assume it's just a mis-communication or a failed attempt at humor. Because of the diverse bunch we have here that happens from time to time (only it's usually Scorp's fault :p) so don't take it so personally.

Aloha, Tim

Ok, if you are able to, check the cultural debate between Finland and Sweden. it wouldn't be too hard to see how Finn's and Swede's have fought in every possible way. Nowadays there are not an open war between these two Europeans, but I've actually been tortured by Swede's for 17years. We have some parts in Finland, in which it's preferable to speak Swedish, but not Finnish... ..see? In Finland!

But you are talking very in a pleasant way(I don't mean the English you use), which is very comfortable! Thank you!

Sam
Samuel E.Krewing
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:46 am

Husse wrote:
I checked in Synaptic (which is a GUI to apt-get) and klamav is 0.41

Is that emoticon meant to laugh at me? ...well, ok. So I'm an idiot? See what happened;
Husse wrote:

I tried your way, resulting as much as mine. Klamav version 0.41. is still the same...and I'm an idiot??? Think again.

No, I did not think you are an idiot - now I don't know.
The reinstall advice was because I thought it stopped working for you - take a look at the number of posts I have written and you should realize that I can't remember all the details in all posts.
My advice on antivirus is to have an on demand scanner and do a scan now and then - that's what I do and I let it scan my XP as well. Yes - I keep an XP partition because there are a few applications I might need, like a specific book keeping program
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Husse on Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:53 am

To add to the statement about my difficulties remembering what I said to whom
When I started out in the forum today I had 3010 posts (give or take one) This will be # 3025 and the last one for today - have to work also
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby salai on Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:03 am

What is your problem "Samuel E.Krewing"?

If you are living in Finland, you can ask your silly questions in Finnish at Ubuntu-forum http://forum.ubuntu-fi.org/.

PS. This guy is really some kind of an idiot, he goes around asking same questions:
But the cooperation with Gates brings viruses, and that's a fact(see Mac...).

Suomeksi: Lopeta trollaaminen ja keskity raamattuusi.
salai
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lolo Uila on Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:43 pm

Mac OS is based on Unix, it's true, but it is a commercial product that runs Microsoft applications (like Office). Ubuntu Linux is not a commercial product, and is not designed to run Microsoft applications. It is a very different situation.

The Ubuntu Promise
    Ubuntu will always be free of charge, including enterprise releases and security updates...
Yes, you can use Wine, Cedega and other means to run actual MS apps, and there may be some risk in that, but even that has been proven to be a very minimal risk. There were a few tests where people ran Ubuntu and tried to launch MS viruses in Wine and no data was lost as a result.

Ubuntu Linux (which Mint is based on) is a very solid OS and is not "cooperating with Microsoft" in any way that affects security.

But as I said, it's your box, you are welcome to run anything you want on it. Glad I was able to help.

Aloha, Tim
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:35 am

There were a few tests where people ran Ubuntu and tried to launch MS viruses in Wine and no data was lost as a result.
Yupp, I read that. The worst that happened was that the virus in Wine copied files to somewhere in the home directory.....
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Husse on Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:41 am

@salai
I don't understand finnish, but I know what Suomeksi means and I have no problems to understand trollaaminen - at least if the first five letters are what I think they are
For you non nordic readers
the nordic languages are very similar except finnish which is not even an indo-european languge
he goes around

Have you found him in other forums?
and
Samuel E.Krewing
is definitely not a "nordic" or "Finnish" name......
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re:

Postby Samuel E.Krewing on Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:25 am

salai wrote:What is your problem "Samuel E.Krewing"?

If you are living in Finland, you can ask your silly questions in Finnish at Ubuntu-forum http://forum.ubuntu-fi.org/.

Oh..? The questions are silly? But the only one who even tried to help, was Husse. You couldn't... so, tell me again, WHAT is silly? The questions, which you are not able to solve?

salai wrote:PS. This guy is really some kind of an idiot, he goes around asking same questions:
But the cooperation with Gates brings viruses, and that's a fact(see Mac...).

Take a look at what I wrote a few lines above.
salai wrote:Suomeksi: Lopeta trollaaminen ja keskity raamattuusi.

Kyseessä ei ollut minkään sortin trollaus, ennenkuin itse tartuit näppikseesi. Mutta mitä tekemistä sanoillasi on Linuxin ja Klamav/Clamavin kanssa? Saitko minulta ehkä päihisi muilla foorumeilla, kun et tunne Raamattua? Mitäpä, jos itse keskittyisit olennaiseen, ja jatkaisit hiekkalaatikkoleikkejäsi... Tuo oli täysin OffTopicia. Lopeta, jos et osaa vastata.

salai:n onneksi, imuroin Darynan, ja käytettyäni sitä aikani, imuroin Gutsyn. Niissä kysymäni ongelmat eivät ole tulleet vastaan, eikä enää tarvitse kysellä vastauksia, jotka ravistelevat salai:n norsunluutornia. Jäin siis avoimine kysymyksineni, eikä toimivaa vastausta tullut.
Luckily for salai, I downloaded Daryna, and as I used it for a while, downloaded Gutsy. With those OS's I did not face those problems of which I made questions, and there's no need to ask those anymore..those really seemed to shake salai's ivory tower. Sad I'm still on my own with questions with no answers.

Thank you, Linux Mint Forum, and its moderators... :cry:
Samuel E.Krewing
Level 1
Level 1

Re:

Postby Samuel E.Krewing on Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 am

Husse wrote:@salai
I don't understand finnish, but I know what Suomeksi means and I have no problems to understand trollaaminen - at least if the first five letters are what I think they are

I believe that's correct(you understood those two words, I think). But my intention was not harrashing or anything like that. I still have my questions about Linux Mint with no solutions. So, I was forced to change my OS.
Husse wrote:For you non nordic readers
the nordic languages are very similar except finnish which is not even an indo-european languge

Yea..maybe that's true. As I hear Swedish, Norwegian on Danish, I have only a slight idea.. my native language is Finnish, which is quite hard to learn for a foreigner.

Husse wrote:
he goes around

Have you found him in other forums?
and
Samuel E.Krewing
is definitely not a "nordic" or "Finnish" name......

That nick "salai" might have found me on some other forums, and is angry because of something of which I'm not aware of... I still have no idea who he/she is. I made those questions only in this forum, because I thought I could get approptiate help. I do not blame you of my problems with Mint, Husse. I understand that at least most Linuxes are made by volunteers, and because of that, it's not working as well as I hope. After all, it's free of charge.

..and the name you talked about is a nick, too. I could not get an E-mail with my real name from my network provider. Too common name, you see. So I had to choose a family name from one of my ancestors from Germany, and modify my first name, to fit with it.

Ok, thank you, Husse. You tried to help.
And salai, take a cold shower, or something. It's not anybody else's fault you cannot answer to too taugh questions.
Samuel E.Krewing
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problems with klamav..

Postby Husse on Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:21 pm

I'll read this again and try to find an answer if I find the time. But then I don't want to see any troll of any kind here!
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Problems with klamav..

Postby Husse on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:30 am

I've read this through again and I'll lock this thread.
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions