Home directory does not belong to me - because of Knoppix?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Home directory does not belong to me - because of Knoppix?

Postby ml2 on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:24 am

I recently installed Musix (based on Knoppix, as I understand) and made a user called MyFirstName and made a separate partition for home directories. So there is a directory called /home/MyFirstName on that partition and it workes in Musix as my home directory.
Then I installed LinuxMint (Musix doesn't really work well, I only wanted it for one particular application - MuseScore. Which doesn't work well either, now that I think about it). Version Cassandra. It asked me during the installation, whether I wanted to import a user from a previously installed system, and I did choose to import the user MyFirstName from Knoppix. And in the next step of LinuxMint install, I made my username to be MyFirstName again. Which means that the home directory for me as LinuxMint user would be the same as for me as the Musix user.
When logging into Linuxmint as MyFirstName, I get the error message that my home directory does not belong to me and the system won't start.
If it is useful information - I can write on the same home directory partition from Windows.
What went wrong? Should I install LinuxMint again, and what should I do differently? Or can I fix the problem from Musix, by changing sth in the /etc/fstab or using some GUI?
ml2
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:47 pm

Please write with a bit of space between sections - my old eyes have a problem with your text.
I must think about this
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Home directory does not belong to me - because of Knoppix?

Postby Lolo Uila on Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:23 pm

ml2 wrote:...If it is useful information - I can write on the same home directory partition from Windows.

How is that /home partition formatted?
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:35 am

Oh dear - it's not FAT or NTFS I hope
Then - well....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions