USB Audio

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

USB Audio

Postby msun on Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:37 pm

I've just installed Celena. I use Bose USB sound system, but can't get sound when playing mp3-files. I get test-sound in set-up, but no system sounds. Any suggestions?
msun
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:42 am

Welcome to Mint msun
I suppose you mean that the sound card is on USB
Then it is there and nowhere else :lol:
i.e. you have nothing in your system with the exception that you choose sound device
Exactly where this setting is varies form application to application, but mostly of course in settings :lol:
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby msun on Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:05 pm

Husse wrote:Welcome to Mint msun
I suppose you mean that the sound card is on USB
Then it is there and nowhere else :lol:
i.e. you have nothing in your system with the exception that you choose sound device
Exactly where this setting is varies form application to application, but mostly of course in settings :lol:

Thanks!. The sound card is on the main board, but I've connected Bose Sound System with subwoofer to the PC via usb. Under hardware this is recognized, but still no sound. Erlier I tried Ubuntu, and there I got sound from files on the disk - but no sound from movies on the Web through Firefox. Strange.
msun
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Vau on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:37 pm

Sorry to jump on your topic, but I have a very similar problem with wireless stereo USB headphones... They are recognised and installed and I can hear them when doing the sound tests, But nothing comes out when playing music, videos or whatever! altough set in preferences... Equally strange no?
Vau
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:24 am

That's probably still a question of selecting, not source but output - check settings in sound applications
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Vau on Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:20 pm

Thanks for your reply... Took a while to sus what you're saying, but then checked Amarok and found the output settings but the USB audio setting doesn't appear here (nor in Mplayer...) like it does in the Audio settings. Any other places I can look??
Vau
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:50 am

Ouch
I find settings for my USB headset but not to let the sound from the sound card to go through USB
Have to investigate
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Husse on Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:02 pm

I've been looking around but sadly I've not been able to find anything useful about piping sound through USB from the normal sound card. If you have a separate USB sound card there's no problem
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Vau on Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:15 pm

Thanks for that... I'm running short of new ideas now. Hope it'll be one of those that just starts working one day!!!
Vau
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions