home sharing not working

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
degarb

home sharing not working

Post by degarb »

What do I need to configure to get the desktop to browse the shared laptop. And, to take off password needed to see shared desktop?

Please, please, please, no file editing, if possible. I just want my home network to work.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: home sharing not working

Post by altair4 »

What OS is the desktop running?
What OS is the laptop running?
By "browse the shared laptop" are you talking about File Sharing or Remote Desktop?
And, to take off password needed to see shared desktop?
It looks like your using something. I just don't know what it is. Samba, NFS, FTP, SSH, .....
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
degarb

Post by degarb »

Upstairs xp laptop, downstairs Ubuntu laptop samba, and desktop LMDE.

In ubuntu, a year ago all I remember doing is installing samba. Now, just installed LMDE, I can see my network, but I cannot open the samba shares, and on Ubuntu I need some password and username to see the LMDE shares.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Now, just installed LMDE, I can see my network, but I cannot open the samba shares
Post the output of the following command:

Code: Select all

smbtree
and on Ubuntu I need some password and username to see the LMDE shares.
Post the output of these commands:

testparm -s

net usershare info --long
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
degarb

Post by degarb »

I don't like that guest not OK.
How do I change this. Also, in snaptic, samba client is not installed (out of lmde box). Do I install that? smbtree didn't work or not installed

dennis@Park /etc/alternatives $ smbtree
The program 'smbtree' is currently not installed. To run 'smbtree' please ask your administrator to install the package 'smbclient'
smbtree: command not found
dennis@Park /etc/alternatives $ testparm -s
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
[global]
workgroup = GARBERS
server string = %h server
obey pam restrictions = Yes
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
unix password sync = Yes
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
dns proxy = No
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S
create mask = 0700
directory mask = 0700
browseable = No

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
create mask = 0700
printable = Yes
browseable = No

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/printers
dennis@Park /etc/alternatives $ net usershare info --long
[mp3output]
path=/media/Iomega HDD/mp3output
comment=
usershare_acl=Everyone:F,
guest_ok=n

[videos 2 burn]
path=/media/Iomega HDD/Videos 2 Burn
comment=
usershare_acl=Everyone:R,Unix User\dennis:F,
guest_ok=n
pythagorean

Post by pythagorean »

Well, in the LDME machine go to personal file sharing under the menus and where it says "share folders on network" just select to share and select the "never" option for "ask for password." And then of course you have to share some folders. But this will make the folders show up on your network and you will be able to browse them from the XP machine and from the two linux machines.
degarb

Post by degarb »

I installed smba tools , not smb tree works.

Enter dennis's password:
GAERS
\\PARK Park server
\\PARK\mp3output
\\PARK\videos 2 burn
\\PARK\KODAK_ESP_3200_Series_AiO Eastman Kodak Company KODAK ESP 3200 Series AiO
\\PARK\Print_to_PDF Print to a PDF File
\\PARK\IPC$ IPC Service (Park server)
\\PARK\print$ Printer Drivers
\\LIXA lisa-laptop server (Samba, Ubuntu)
cli_start_connection: failed to connect to LIXA<20> (0.0.0.0). Error NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
\\DEGARB1 Mobi
cli_start_connection: failed to connect to DEGARB1<20> (0.0.0.0). Error NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
degarb

Post by degarb »

pythagorean wrote:Well, in the LDME machine go to personal file sharing under the menus and where it says "share folders on network" just select to share and select the "never" option for "ask for password." And then of course you have to share some folders. But this will make the folders show up on your network and you will be able to browse them from the XP machine and from the two linux machines.

I do have it set for NEver here. But it is asking for password. How to I change the workgroup that I belong to?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Also, in snaptic, samba client is not installed (out of lmde box)
LMDE has a couple of client side samba ( and samba related ) packages missing from the base install:
smbclient
libsmbclient
python-smbc
gvfs-fuse
I don't like that guest not OK.
How do I change this.
Edit smb.conf as root:

gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
Add the following line to the global section of smb.conf:

usershare allow guests = yes
Save the file and restart samba:

sudo service samba restart
You're going to have to remove one share and add it back because you've made it to complicated:

sudo net usershare delete "videos 2 burn"
Now go back into Nautilus:

Right Click /media/Iomega HDD/mp3output > Sharing Options > and select all three boxes including "Guest Access"

Now Right Click /media/Iomega HDD/Videos 2 Burn > Sharing Options > and select all three boxes.
pythagorean wrote:Well, in the LDME machine go to personal file sharing under the menus and where it says "share folders on network" just select to share and select the "never" option for "ask for password." And then of course you have to share some folders. But this will make the folders show up on your network and you will be able to browse them from the XP machine and from the two linux machines.
You're mixing apples and oranges here. "Personal File Sharing" is not Samba and doesn't follow Samba's rules. It set up a baby Apache file server and uses avahi to publish it's share. You don't "share some folders", Personal File Sharing by design shares only one folder - /home/username/Public.
How to I change the workgroup that I belong to?
Change it in smb.conf. It's easy to find it's right at the beginning of the document after the comments.
degarb

Post by degarb »

Are you sure no other packages are missing? I got everything working except being able to mount network from lmde or able to mount the shares of lmde, which are clearly visible.

It is like samba is working but lmde is unable to parse the file system for mounting.

(all my computers are on static ip.)
degarb

Post by degarb »

http://samba.org/samba/smbfs/ what is this about?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Are these two shares formatted in NTFS or FAT32 by any chance? How are you mounting them?
path=/media/Iomega HDD/mp3output
path=/media/Iomega HDD/Videos 2 Burn
If you mount them through Nautilus as needed then they will mount with you as the owner and as the only person who can access them. Samba has no authority over Linux file permissions but you can use Samba to work around the permissions issue:

Add the following line to the global section of smb.conf:

force user = dennis
Then restart samba:

As for accessing other computers from Mint, open up a terminal and type:

nautilus smb://192.168.0.100
Change 192.168.0.100 to the actual ip address of the remote machine
If that's successful then Bookmark it. It will then show up under Places just like a "mapped drive" does in Windows.
degarb

Post by degarb »

I kinda got it working. I made so many changes that I have not a clue.

It started working some time after adding the partner on the host file, and some firewall nfs tweaks. I rebooted a few times into live cd of UBu 9,10,and lmde to see same error on networking.

But hey, I rebooted and it ain't working now. Unable to mount location: failed to retrieve server list..

If it doesn't work better soon, I am going back to windows, and abandoning use of linux after a week and half. :-(
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

try that
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
degarb

Post by degarb »

I see now LMDE is serving okay. (just not stuff not automounted in fstab)

But still lmde cannot see anything on the network. So, horrible, just not fatal.
degarb

Post by degarb »

willie42 wrote:

try that

Ok. Did this, and got not one, " unable to mount", complaint. However, it did show a blank when clicking network. I had to backup and reenter 3 or 4 times to finally get the shares. Something is buggy.

BUt! At least, it is sharing. I need to make a desktop script to restart samba service every time I get the "unable to retrieve share list.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

if you have anymore issues I will try to help you although I am not a guru at networking yet but I will do my best.
degarb

Post by degarb »

willie42 wrote:if you have anymore issues I will try to help you although I am not a guru at networking yet but I will do my best.

I appreciate any help.

I guess any hint to make lmde browse the network better. Seems to be sharing okay.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Altair4 is the networking Guru. I think you are right about having it browse the network. I am not sure but willing to help when I can
degarb

Post by degarb »

willie42 wrote:Altair4 is the networking Guru. I think you are right about having it browse the network. I am not sure but willing to help when I can
No one mentioned checking the host file or firewall. I thought of those things, and I am guessing that helped.

Is there a graphical way to add users. The command line is not just tiresome but useless later in life, as we all will need to regoogle on each use. That is if we remember to. On the whole setting up samba, there needs to be a graphical interface with some safeguards against user misuse. Think of all the time it would save new users and helpers.

Return to “Beginner Questions”