Formatting an external usb drive

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rom Raptor
Level 1
Level 1

Formatting an external usb drive

Post by Rom Raptor »

since i've switched from windows to linux i figured i might as well convert my external hd to some linux filesystem, so i installed gparted and tried formatting to both ext3 and ext4, but after the formatting i can't do anything with the drive (copy or create files). Also there's a lost+found folder which i don't have permissions to view.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Radar

Re: Formatting an external usb drive

Post by Radar »

When you use gparted or any program to format a drive, you have to type the sudo or (root) password.
This makes the drive or partition owned by root. That is why you have permission problems.

To make this new partition or drive owned by you, (so you can copy/create files) assuming your user name is raptor, and
your usb drive mounts at /media type in the terminal

Code: Select all

sudo chown -Rv raptor:raptor /media/label_of_usb_drive
-R is for recursive
-v is for verbose
Rom Raptor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rom Raptor »

i later figured out it was a permission issue, so i changed so i got read/write, but the owner is still root. does that matter? if so, can that be changed?
Radar

Post by Radar »

Yes, the quickest and easiest way is to open up the terminal and use the sudo chown command. This will change ownership from root to your user_name.

Code: Select all

sudo chown -Rv user_name:user_name /media/label_of_usb_drive

Return to “Beginner Questions”