A few newbie questions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bugmenotprettyplz

A few newbie questions

Post by bugmenotprettyplz »

1. Is it possible to trigger an action every time a new package is installed (not updated)? For example, I would want to call gedit ~/text.txt every time a package is installed

2. How can I tell the fatrat download manager to start minimized? fatrat --minimized should work, though the main program can't turn off its own autostart function so that leaves me with 2 fatrat instances if i use that

3. With ntfs drives mounted through the fstab, what would i need to add to enable the drives to use the trash, rather than telling me that they have to permanently delete files every time i use it

Code: Select all

/dev/sda1				/media/Windows		ntfs	defaults,umask=007,gid=46	0	0
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mads

Re: A few newbie questions

Post by mads »

bugmenotprettyplz wrote:3. With ntfs drives mounted through the fstab, what would i need to add to enable the drives to use the trash, rather than telling me that they have to permanently delete files every time i use it

/dev/sda1				/media/Windows		ntfs	defaults,umask=007,gid=46	0	0
I like the 3rd question, but I am afraid the best answer you would get would be:
1. Navigate to your ntfs partition and create a folder called Trash
2. Move the files you want to delete/remove there, and delete them permanently when you are sure you no longer need them :lol:
bugmenotprettyplz

Post by bugmenotprettyplz »

Oh lol thanks for the answer :P
Does anyone else know a way though? What makes me believe that it will be possible is that if I don't automount the drives from fstab and instead mount them by clicking on them in linux, i am able to delete stuff then and it goes to trash
mads

Post by mads »

bugmenotprettyplz, you are right, I am so embarrassed. How could I miss that? :oops:

I am running Mint 9 Xfce. I just right clicked a file on my auto-mounted ntfs partition and selected "Move to Trash". To my amazement the selected file was moved to my trash (/home/mads/.local/share/Trash). OK, here is the entry in my fstab:

# /d-windows was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=0C6C35126C34F7D2 /d-windows      ntfs    defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0       0
But, I am new to Xfce and have just used it for two days. I have been using LMDE for the last couple of months, and I am almost sure I couldn't do that there. I am going to check LMDE and see if I can do the same there.

Update:
I can confirm that in LMDE, I can see the option "Move to Trash" when I right click a file on an auto-mounted ntfs partition, but I cannot move the file to trash. A window pops up, saying: "Cannot move file to trash, do you want to delete immediately?".

Here is the fsab entry:

# /e-windows was on /dev/sda3 during installation
UUID=02782D66782D59A5				/e-windows      ntfs-3g defaults,nls=utf8	0       0
I_can_see_the_light

Post by I_can_see_the_light »

bugmenotprettyplz wrote:1. Is it possible to trigger an action every time a new package is installed (not updated)? For example, I would want to call gedit ~/text.txt every time a package is installed
Is this to keep track of the packages you've installed in case of a reinstall/upgrade? You can have Synaptic generate a script with all currently installed packages. That script can later be imported on another machine/install. Go to Synaptic -> File -> Generate package download script :)
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

3. With ntfs drives mounted through the fstab, what would i need to add to enable the drives to use the trash, rather than telling me that they have to permanently delete files every time i use it

/dev/sda1            /media/Windows      ntfs   defaults,umask=007,gid=46   0   0
With that line in fstab the owner:group = root:plugdev, and the permissions are 770.

You do have the authority to delete a given file but you do not have the authority to place it in Trash since the the only user's Trash it could be sent to is root's. If you want it to be placed in your Trash then take possession of the mount point by adding uid=1000 to the line:

/dev/sda1 /media/Windows ntfs   defaults,uid=1000,umask=007,gid=46   0   0
Does anyone else know a way though? What makes me believe that it will be possible is that if I don't automount the drives from fstab and instead mount them by clicking on them in linux, i am able to delete stuff then and it goes to trash
The reason that's happening is that without an fstab entry it mounts with you as owner so it's your trash.
mads wrote:I am running Mint 9 Xfce. I just right clicked a file on my auto-mounted ntfs partition and selected "Move to Trash". To my amazement the selected file was moved to my trash (/home/mads/.local/share/Trash).
That one I don't have an explanation for. :?:
EDIT: Is it possible that the ownership / permissions on a users Trash in XFCE is different than the one in Gnome - which is user:user / 700 ?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”