.bin files [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
krkr

.bin files [Solved]

Post by krkr »

hey.
how do i install a game that is .bin.
new to linux so im kind of lost with this things, might it just be a file readable for windows?

thx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ArcherSeven

Re: .bin files

Post by ArcherSeven »

.bin files are meant to be run, not "installed". In terminal, cd to the directory of the file, then run ./filename. If that gives you a permission error, chmod a+x filename and try again.
krkr

Post by krkr »

sounds good. just started using linux some weeks ago thoe,
never used terminal so i'm completely lost when it comes to that.
you have to tell me step by step, sry!

thx
unexistance

Post by unexistance »

Hi,

If your .bin is on the Desktop, just right-click on desktop empty space | Open Terminal | sh xxx.bin<Enter>
Then answer any question there.

Regards,
krkr

Post by krkr »

dont work.

k@k-1005PX ~ $ sh braid.bin
sh: Can't open braid.bin
k@k-1005PX ~ $ sh cortex.bin
sh: Can't open cortex.bin
is what happens!
know why?
unexistance

Post by unexistance »

Hi,

Right-click on the file | Properties | Permission | Execute : Tick it
Then open a terminal, run

Code: Select all

./braid.bin
Regards,
krkr

Post by krkr »

dont know what you mean with the code select all ./braid.bin box
but i did as you said and the shit still dont work, gotta learn this linux stuff!

thx
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

If it's in a Code Select All, if you copy what's inside of it, you can paste it into the Terminal (CLI). They do it that way so you don't finger fumble the command.

Hope This Helps,
Dave
I_can_see_the_light

Post by I_can_see_the_light »

Also, make sure that you type the file name with the correct case. In linux there's a difference between File and file.
krkr

Post by krkr »

haha i have no idea what you mean..
never heard of code select before, dont know where it is or what
to do when i find it. when it comes to linux i dont know anything about anything..
to make me understand, you have to explain klick for klick..
sry & thx
I_can_see_the_light

It means that you should disregard the text Code:Select All, it's the text underneath it that you should copy and enter in your terminal window :)

By the way, in the terminal window you have to use Ctrl + Shift + C to copy and Ctrl + Shift + V to paste. Also remember my previous post about case sensitivity.
krkr

Post by krkr »

okey, get it! but i still did as you guys said and man i cant it to run.
just dont know what to do here, dont really know what i should paste
in the terminal because i dont know what i should copy..

gotta help me out with what, how etc, like explaining to a child kind of :D

thx
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

unexistance wrote:Hi,

Right-click on the file | Properties | Permission | Execute : Tick it
Then open a terminal, run

Code: Select all

./braid.bin
Regards,
In this Post, there is a "Code:Select All" Block with some Green Text in it. Copy the Green Text, and Paste it into your Terminal.

(Mint > Accessaries > Terminal)

Dave
I_can_see_the_light

Right, first of all use your file manager to locate your .bin files and enter that directory.

Then right click an empty space (inside the file manager) and choose Open in Terminal.

Now enter:
./<name of your file>

Hope that helps :)
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

I tend to stick to the GUI Method. From a Windows perspective, it is easier to communicate for some.

Thanks for the Tip. I'm still learning (and probably always will be) the Linux way myself.

Thanks Again,
Dave
krkr

Post by krkr »

i still dont get it right. dont know how to enter the directory in the file manager and all that.
i just have them on my deskop like one of you said.
if you just tell me what to do i dont get how to do it, thats the thing, have to explain even
the smallest press and whatever for me to get this, new to this linux thing and its hard at first.

just have the bin on the deskop, entered in the terminal as you said, dont work.
ticked the execute thing and all that still dont work
dont know how to locate the file first and whatever. file manager, what. how? =)

press here, press there, write that, then press that...step by step, like kid i need it =D

thanks guys
I_can_see_the_light

krkr wrote:new to this linux thing and its hard at first.
We've all been there, if you're interested in learning it's not any harder than Windows, just different :)
krkr wrote:i still dont get it right. dont know how to enter the directory in the file manager and all that.
i just have them on my deskop like one of you said.
Ok, let's try again,

1. Click Menu (the one in the bottom left corner) -> Terminal.
2. Type cd Desktop and press enter.
3. Type ./braid.bin (If braid.bin is the name of the file)
4. Answer any questions that may be presented either in the Terminal or possibly a window that the installer launches.

Hopefully things will work out for you now :)
krkr

Post by krkr »

yeah thats what im talking about =)
works like a charm!!

hey thanks for all help, i got this down now!
now how do i put a "solved" stamp on this post? :D
I_can_see_the_light

I think you can just edit your first post in this thread and add [SOLVED] in the beginning of the subject line.
krkr

Re: .bin files [Solved]

Post by krkr »

got it, thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”