Firefox not working after fresh install semisolved

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Firefox not working after fresh install semisolved

Postby Labrador on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:30 am

Hi @ all.
I just installed Linuxmint Celena Gnome full.
All went well and I already love it !
Except this: Firefox tries to start but nothing happens.
So I installed Epiphany and the same problem occurs. The taskbar notification starts, and after about 20 seconds dissapears, no Epiphany.
Then I installed Opera and tada: I can browse the internet !

No real problem for me but still it puzzles me why Firefox and Epiphany fail to start up.

Any suggestions to an absolute newcomer ?

Kind regards,
Labrador
Labrador
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:30 am

It puzzles me too :lol:
Have you made any changes to some settings - not that I know what would cause this behavior in a fresh install - that is if it is not just a one time event.
Firefox has a tendency, more in Windows than in linux, to sort of "semiopen" and you have to kill the firefox process to be able to open it. Happens once in a while. Epiphany is mozilla so if FF does something stupid it might effect Epiphany too
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Labrador on Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:04 am

In "the other os" I used to use, I sometimes had this problem when FF was running invisibly in the background. But I got this little FF warning screen that said another instance of FF was already running.
Now the problem occurs right after boot-up. I haven't touched anything and opening FF or Epiphany doesn't work.
I will try to uninstall both and install again, maybe the profile is corrupt ???
To be continued, thanks for your reply, tomorrow I will post the results.
Bye for now,
Labrador
:)
Labrador
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:31 am

maybe the profile is corrupt
Maybe but I did not consider that in a fresh install. Open the profile manager - don't remember if it's FF or Thunderbird where you need to use the terminal for that - and create a mew profile and remove the old
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Labrador on Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:26 am

Hi Husse, since the Linux stuff is all new to me and I am used to Opera since version 5, I decided not to dig in too deep and got rid of FF , TB and Epiphany.
As mailclient I installed Evolution (in win I used Pegasus mailclient) and Opera suits my needs as a normal user.
Now I'm off to explore Mint :)

All the other stuff seems to be working as normal so let's see what I can learn of this OS !

Thanks for your help, it's just too difficult for me to go messing around in this stadium. I will have a look around this forum for learning about Mintlinux

Bye !
Labrador
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Labrador on Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:39 am

OK, I could not let it go just like that, so I decided to give it a try.
Re-installed Firefox through the packagemanager and now it works like a charm.
Don't ask me about the technical stuff, I just removed it completely and now installed it again and it works :)

just wanted to let you know.

bye for now,

Labrador
Labrador
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions