7 Newbie questions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

7 Newbie questions

Postby flagellum on Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:11 pm

Ok, I'll start with the most important question first.

1.Firefox won't stop crashing. I had just got done typing a long, detailed first post here and it crashed, again. It does this often, seemingly for no reason whatsoever. I don't know what would cause it, I want to guess and say an add-on that I have, but all the add ons I have I previously used on XP and they worked just fine. It acts really slow, then just locks up.

2. I messed up my start bar.
Can I revert it to default? Or "theme" over it? Also, it does not collapse. The only way I can get it to go away is click "show desktop" And it open whenever I open firefox, even though I don't click the button.

3. I have themes in the emerald theme manager, how do I apply them?

4. Every time I open the beryl manager I get a big cube of white sides that I don't know how to edit, or close for that matter. I just get stuck whenever I open it.

5. Does NVU stand up to dreamweaver? I doubt it, so is it fairly simple to use "wine" to run dreamweaver? Same with photoshop?

6. Is there a tool that this has, or that I can download that lets me search for wireless networks in my range?

7. I had another important question as well, but I can't remember what I wrote.
flagellum
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby kcirick on Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:01 pm

What kind of graphic card do you have? the first few problems you have seems to be related to graphics.

What would happen if you disable beryl?
kcirick
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:09 pm

1.\ did you upgrade to gutsy? Cause if you did you need to upgrade to Daryna unstable as well.. otherwise firefox won't work.

2.\ Remove mintmenu from the panel, open a terminal and type "gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/mintMenu" then add mintmenu again.

3. \ Just select them within the emeral manager... and make sure beryl manager uses beryl and not metacity.

4. \ Not sure what you mean...

5. \ NVU is handy but it's nowhere near Dreamweaver... I heard DW worked under wine, but not the latest versions..

6. \ open a terminal and type "sudo iwlist yourwirelessdevice scan", I'm sure there are a lot of GUIs for that, look in synaptic.

7. \ lol :)

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Return to Newbie Questions