Mint or Ubuntu?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Mint or Ubuntu?

Postby natwestcup on Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:32 pm

Hi
I am complete newbie to Linux with just a week's experience of looking at distros. In a bid to get completely free of the evil empire I have tested several alternatives using live CDs and have narrowed my choices down to just 3 options

PClinuxOS
Ubuntu
Linux Mint

The final decision to install is probably going to be between the last two. I really like the look of Mint and it seems easy to use from the live CD, but a lot of the stuff I read out there seems to suggest Ubuntu is the safest choice for a first time linux install.

As I am sure the users of this forum will have real experience of both distros, please can anyone share their thoughts and help me take the final step to freedom.

Cheers
natwestcup
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby exploder on Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:59 pm

Only you can decide what best suites your needs. LinuxMint and Ubuntu are both good choices.

You can run both if you want!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:13 pm

i tried ubuntu many times multiple computers - too many issues. Mint works the best! my 1/2 cent.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Postby natwestcup on Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:23 pm

Thanks Exploder for the prompt response.

I'm sure either would suit my modest computing needs, but I'm too inexperienced to determine which, if any, is the best version for a beginner with little experience, which will make the transformation into Linux less painful and which will have less installation and future upgrading problems - or is there so little difference in the engine room that it comes down to cosmetics?

As I said I have used linux and the live CDs for just a few days and will continue for some while, before making the final choice but it would be nice to have the opinions of experienced users.
natwestcup
Level 1
Level 1

Postby linuxviolin on Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:24 pm

GrayWizardLinux wrote:i tried ubuntu many times multiple computers - too many issues. Mint works the best!

Yes, I support this view. :D
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Postby natwestcup on Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:25 pm

GrayWizardLinux wrote:i tried ubuntu many times multiple computers - too many issues. Mint works the best! my 1/2 cent.

thanks GrayWizardLinux that helps
natwestcup
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:54 pm

Both distributions are good for first time Linux users. Linux Mint and PCLinuxOS are probably your best choice to start with as they come with multimedia support and desktop improvements out of the box.

Overall, Ubuntu is the best distribution at the moment but as a novice user you will find it lacks some things and you will find yourself struggling to add components which already work out of the box in Linux Mint.

My advice would be to start with Mint, eventually try Ubuntu as well and in a few years give Debian a try.

There's a reason why there are so many distributions. They all bring something different and you might like one more than the other for your own personal reasons (depending on your tastes, on your hardware, on your history, on your philosophy or even on how well you got to like the community...).

PS: Fedora is also definitely worth a try, it's not as easy as mint but it's a very rewarding distribution once set up correctly.

No matter what you choose you're likely to distro-hop for a while and I can only encourage you to do that as much as you can... it's a great adventure and there are more than 300 distributions out there, so you're not finished having fun :)

Good luck,

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby kcirick on Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:56 pm

I've never used PCLinuxOS, but I have used both Ubuntu and Mint, along with other distros - Fedora, OpenSuSE, Arch, Slackware, etc...

Somehow I always come back to Mint after trying other distros for a few days/weeks. I guess this tells me that I like Mint the best, and I do - for many reasons:

1. It's works very well "out-of-the-box", as with Ubuntu. There are rarely any issues when you first boot up, and you are immediately greeted with graphical user interface, whereas some distros, namely Arch and Slackware, still goes into text mode as a default - which can be nice if you have an older system
2. As you mentioned, Mint has one of the nicest artworks, complete opposite of ubuntu... but that's really a personal issue.
3. Very easy installation. You only need to download one CD, rather than 5-CD set with many other distros, and Installation is quite simple. You don't need to pick and choose which package you want from a list of thousands of packages, Mint installs what most people needs by default. You may need to add/remove stuff accordingly after the initial installation, but you would have to do that anyway.

So in conclusion, I'd go for Linux Mint.

Cheers
kcirick
Level 1
Level 1

Postby andyvr4 on Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:48 am

I'd say try mint first because it will work with many multimedia formats that you're going to struggle in the beginning to get working with ubuntu. Underneath ubuntu and mint are 90% the same.
andyvr4
Level 2
Level 2

Postby allforcarrie on Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:59 am

try out other distros, find one that suits you.

I like mint ;-)
allforcarrie
Level 2
Level 2

Mint or Ubuntu

Postby dracorX on Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:12 am

I say I would use MINT. But I am biased ;-)
dracorX
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Sorensei on Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:25 am

I would also suggest Mint... while it has the Ubuntu base, it has tremendously improved on it, and offers many tools to simplify what could block or baffle a new user. 8)

Whatever your choice, enjoy!

And remember to put your /home on a separate partition, so if later you want to change distros, you'll keep all your stuff. :wink:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Postby natwestcup on Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:38 am

Thanks Guys

I think you have confirmed what I was already thinking.

I'm going to spend the weekend finding out about partitioning before installing Linux Mint on my laptop - a dual boot system with Windows XP for starters.

Your comments much appreciated. :D
natwestcup
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mikeon11 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:51 pm

mint is much user friendlier than ubuntu. there are lots of things you won't see in ubuntu that is freely avaliable in mint. i know the choice is yours, but for somebody coming from windows mint should be the first choice
mikeon11
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dpar on Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:41 pm

I use both Ubuntu and Mint. Both are great distros. PCLOS is also a good choice, but I don't like it's restricted software base.
dpar
Level 1
Level 1

Postby civint on Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:17 pm

I have had issues with ubuntu (as well as their forums being a bit...unfirendly sometimes) PCLOS (strange naming of partitions, and broken installs) and I have had nothing but good things from mint! I had/have issues with driver installs, but a bit of tinkering with xorg.conf and it's fine-the forums helped me out a lot!

I have tried others (slackware, mandriva, arch, debian...the list goes on), but mint is the one for me. Only downside is that I like to install fresh when updates come along...hence my recent linux indentity crisis. I decided I was too lazy to swap, and mint will be sticking around.
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions