Change GDM in mint 9

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Notna888

Change GDM in mint 9

Post by Notna888 »

I'll be strait to the point, I'm using Linux mint 9, but I want to change the gdm (login screen if I've picked up the wrong lingo) every tutorial I read it tells me to go to administration -> log in screen or something to that effect
Knowing Mint is based on ubuntu I looked around on their forums too, after having no luck here, doesn't mean I didn't miss a solution though, basically what I'm asking is, how on earth do I change the log in screen? my guess is I have to install something, but I honestly have no idea

thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Change GDM in mint 9

Post by richyrich »

To add this app into your package manager, execute the following commands from a terminal window:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gdm2setup/gdm2setup
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python-gdm2setup

The application will now update along with your other packages automatically and will appear in your System / Administration menu as "Login (GDM2Setup)".
https://launchpad.net/gdm2setup
Notna888

Post by Notna888 »

Ahh, that works perfectly, if you want to change the background and icon theme and things of the such, but sorry I should of mentioned I want to be able to choose a theme, for example one off gnome-look.org using a method similar to the one explained here http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-instal ... buntu.html if that's possible, but I'll be sure to play with GDM2Setup in the meantime :)
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Hint : When you add new themes, do it with sudo privilege, and install it in usr/share/themes . . then it will be available for gdm2setup (all users) . . :wink:
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Notna888 wrote:Ahh, that works perfectly, if you want to change the background and icon theme and things of the such, but sorry I should of mentioned I want to be able to choose a theme, for example one off gnome-look.org using a method similar to the one explained here http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-instal ... buntu.html if that's possible, but I'll be sure to play with GDM2Setup in the meantime :)
Those themes were for GDM < v2.28. They are not compatible with the latest versions of GDM, also why you cannot find that "Login Window Preferences" as shown on the tutorial.

Return to “Beginner Questions”