screen resolution/graphics card solved

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

screen resolution/graphics card solved

Postby gjclt on Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:02 pm

I am quite new to Linux but I've been using another distro which is KDE based for a couple of months. I have now installed Mint as I've heard such good things.
Everything went o.k. till it came to setting up my graphics card and monitor. Nvidia 6600gt and compaq tft. Initially it went to 1024x768 at 75Hz but a s soon as I tried to use Nvidia drivers installed using envy, all I can get is 480x640@50Hz and it won't recognize the monitor as a TFT. I did not have this problem with the other distro.
gjclt
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:42 pm

I think the communication between monitor and video card is failing I have a nvidia 6600gtx, no problems.
Check that the monitor cable is properly inserted.
Open a terminal and issue the command
Code: Select all
xvidtune
Click cancel in the box that pops up. Now you have your monitor's vertical and horizontal refresh values in the terminal
The simplest way to do "the rest" I find is to edit xorg.conf
Use nautilus (if in gnome - else the filebrowser at hand) and navigate to /etc/X11. Open xorg.conf
Compare the rates in the terminal with those in xorg.conf
I guess you have (considerably) smaller values in xorg.conf than in the terminal
Right click in nautilus, select "Open in terminal"
Then
Code: Select all
sudo gedit xorg.conf

and use the values from the terminal in xorg.conf and you are done.
Restart x by ctrl+alt+backspace
If you have the same values please post your xorg.conf so I can have a look at it
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

screen resolution/graphics card

Postby gjclt on Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:58 pm

Thanks Husse that has worked.
gjclt
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions