N00bie needs some basic help

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

N00bie needs some basic help

Postby stormy on Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:23 am

Hi,

With Daryna I can actually boot with the LiveCD and it all looks ok apart from the fact its in 1600x1200 when my monitor is 1920x1200.

At the moment I am a heavy Windows user and have only have a brief toe dipping into the world of Linux with Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

I have the following paritions:

520GB drive with 2 Windows NTFS Partitions
320GB drive with 1 Windows NTFS Partition of 160GB and the other 160GB is unallocated ready for Linux Mint.

In the live CD they appear ok but when I try and install the installer seems to want to destroy the Windows partition, use a Full disk (there by destroying the Windows partition) or gives me a manual option I can't make head nor tail about.

Is there a guide somewhere that will show me the process of setting up my 2nd 160GB partition for a linux install, I believe it needs a root, swap and data partition. I tried looking in Gparted and manually formatting in the installer but it didnt seem to set it up correctly.

Also, if installed will then be able to just follow the ATI Wiki and install the ATI drivers (Which I did in Ubuntu) to get 1920x1200?

Then finally, my onboard network adaptor is a Gigabit Marvel controller which seems to be listed in the hardware devices in the LiveCD but I can't get it to communicate with my router, my router is 192.168.1.1 with DHCP disabled. Is there then a guide to follow to sort this?

Thanks,

Mike (ultra n00b)
stormy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby civint on Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:06 am

You'd be right in thinking that you need a swap partition, and it's wise to have a home and root partition.
This guide might be of help to you
http://linuxgazette.net/136/lazar.html
It's quite basic, but it runs you through what you have to do, and how it does it, and explains it better than I could.

The reason it is not being displayed in its full resolution is that it is not using any graphics accelerators, only the ones it has on the live cd (if any--I'm not an expert in these things), but once you have installed you can run the program 'envy' and choose to install the latest nvidia/ati drivers. I have had some issues, but look through my posts to see how I fixed them (my most common fix is here. http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=2970
If this doesn't work, then just post your xorg.conf in the forums and people will help you out

IN the install, it should sort out all your network stuff for you (it does for me, using an onboard controller.

I hope that helps, and I hope that eventually you decide to drop windows! (unless of course you need it for work......)

civint.
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Postby stormy on Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:33 am

Thanks for the suggestion, but it seems the new Daryna installer partitioner looks nothing like that. :(
stormy
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions