Freezes while running linux

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sandyachar

Freezes while running linux

Post by Sandyachar »

Hello all :)
I am new here and new to linux.
Well , i first installed ubuntu 10.10. Sometimes randomly the desktop just freezed and only restarting would fix it. I couldn`t debug it so i tried linux mint 10. The thing is this is happing again i.e pc randomly just freezes ! I really like linux so far and don`t want to re-install windows . I searched but couldn`t find a relevant post/solution for this. Any solutions or suggestions are welcome .
regards
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Freezes while running linux

Post by Midnighter »

Could you provide some details to help in the troubleshooting please? What hardware do you have (graphics card, CPU, RAM, etc)? Is it installed on it's own? Have you updated the system yet? Have you installed any proprietary drivers? Have you tried running with some of the ram removed (to see it's not a ram issue)? Does it freeze up soon after running, after a long while (possible heat issue), or a mix of both? The more detail you can give us, the better we can atempt to help narrow it down for you.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
Sandyachar

Post by Sandyachar »

I have intel dual core 3 Ghz processor , intel 82945G chipset with integrated graphic card , 1 Gb of RAM . Mint is installed inside windows 7 with 15 gb alloction to it . I havent tried running it without the RAM. Updating the system caused more faster freezes after booting up in ubuntu 10.10 so havent updated mint yet. I havent installed any proprietary drivers. It doesnt freeze soon upon booting up , freezes after 15 - 20 min . I had this freezing problem even when I had installed ubuntu on its own . The freezes were faster within 5 min when I had installed ubuntu 10.04 . This freezing exists in live dvd too.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Sandyachar wrote:I have intel dual core 3 Ghz processor , intel 82945G chipset with integrated graphic card , 1 Gb of RAM . Mint is installed inside windows 7 with 15 gb alloction to it . I havent tried running it without the RAM. Updating the system caused more faster freezes after booting up in ubuntu 10.10 so havent updated mint yet. I havent installed any proprietary drivers. It doesnt freeze soon upon booting up , freezes after 15 - 20 min . I had this freezing problem even when I had installed ubuntu on its own . The freezes were faster within 5 min when I had installed ubuntu 10.04 . This freezing exists in live dvd too.

since mint and ubuntu both had the issue, you might need to look for bugs.
for limited info, intel 82945G is the keyword here, so I google and get one that is as below

https://bugs.launchpad.net/xserver-xorg ... bug/475429
i am not sure whether that is the problem affecting you

What you mentioned is Mint is installed inside windows 7 with 15 gb alloction to it , I am not sure what it mean, may be you use mint4win? or wubi in ubuntu?
if that is the case, I suggest you create a partition and install Mint on the partition to test out.
Sandyachar

Post by Sandyachar »

Yes i used mint4win in LM 10 and wubi in ubuntu 10.10 . Well i had installed ubuntu without windows in a seperate partition , but it didnt help , still encountered freezes.

I have similar bug , i have no clue on how to rectify if. How do i de bug using the link provided ?
conslie

Post by conslie »

You might find some helpful hint by running Menu/Control Center/System Monitor and watching the Processes tab. The exact answer will probably be present in Menu/Control Center/Log File Viewer, but I am too novice to suggest where.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Sandyachar wrote:Yes i used mint4win in LM 10 and wubi in ubuntu 10.10 . Well i had installed ubuntu without windows in a seperate partition , but it didnt help , still encountered freezes.

I have similar bug , i have no clue on how to rectify if. How do i de bug using the link provided ?
OK, I can suggest what to do for your experiment,
assuming this is the bug that affect you, I read those posts, it is related to kernel, so it might not be too easy for you to get around.
Here is what you can do for Linux:
1. Use LMDE, mint debian has different kernel, so it might just work for you

2. Go to PCLinuxOS, download their 2010 latest version of Gnome Live CD, check md5sum, then run Live CD for a while.
This one has different kernel, and your experience might be quite different on graphic.

Hope it helps
Sandyachar

Post by Sandyachar »

wayne128 wrote:
Sandyachar wrote:Yes i used mint4win in LM 10 and wubi in ubuntu 10.10 . Well i had installed ubuntu without windows in a seperate partition , but it didnt help , still encountered freezes.

OK, I can suggest what to do for your experiment,
assuming this is the bug that affect you, I read those posts, it is related to kernel, so it might not be too easy for you to get around.
Here is what you can do for Linux:
1. Use LMDE, mint debian has different kernel, so it might just work for you

2. Go to PCLinuxOS, download their 2010 latest version of Gnome Live CD, check md5sum, then run Live CD for a while.
This one has different kernel, and your experience might be quite different on graphic.

Hope it helps
Alright i ll try that. What is the difference between LM and LMDE ?
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

LinuxMint is based on ubuntu, which is based on Debian.

LinuxMint Debian is based on Debian.
Sandyachar

Post by Sandyachar »

Thanks a lot , LMDE is working flawlessly.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Sandyachar wrote:Thanks a lot , LMDE is working flawlessly.
congratulation.
sound like one more for this link, LMDE Makes Me Happy!
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=63056

Return to “Beginner Questions”