flash never works.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
soryu

flash never works.

Post by soryu »

why isn't flash working for me?
i've had ubuntu 8,9 then mint 8 now 9 and flash has always choppy and slow sometimes i just get a little black screen. all types of sites
cnn, youtube,google videos any site with flash video,only the sound works.
can anyone point me in the right direction?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
soryu

Re: flash never works.

Post by soryu »

flashpluginfree was installed removed and installed adobeflashplug in
same thing black screen play freeze,skip freeze skip.
i noticed that shockwave flash is the player selected in firefox there's an option for vlc (says it's default). but no option for adobeflash.
only an option to use other type of flash,but don't know how to chose adobe.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Easiest way I know to keep Flash updated and the correct version (64 bit if you are using Mint 64 bit, or 32 bit if using 32 bit Mint) is to go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/161939/ and install the flash aid plugin. It will do all the work for you and all you need to do is allow it to update when it asks. This is an awesome way to always have the latest flash player and you won't need to know how to remove the old, install the new, etc.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

If you're 32bit this worked for me.
http://www.noobrescue.com/blog/flash-fu ... untu-10-10
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

If that is to disable hardware acceleration only, you can also do so much easier by going to a video that is or isn't working, right click on that video (the black screen where the video should be or the video while playing) and just uncheck the "enable hardware acceleration" box.
soryu

Post by soryu »

i tried right clicking and disabling hardware acceleration but didn't have that option.
i used the firefox flash aid extension and i'm getting a need to upgrade flash message on videos.
which flash are you guys using?can you watch cnn.com smoothly?
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

soryu wrote:i tried right clicking and disabling hardware acceleration but didn't have that option.
i used the firefox flash aid extension and i'm getting a need to upgrade flash message on videos.
which flash are you guys using?can you watch cnn.com smoothly?
Flash 10.3 d162 is what is reported from about:plugins in Firefox on mine. But I'm now on Debian so your version may differ. I can't run Flash Aid on Debian so I use the non free repo version. However, the Flash Aid plugin for me on Mint Debian or Mint or Ubuntu was the best tool available to eliminate any work on my part to keep Flash upgraded. Did Flash Aid work on your system? If it did, did you allow it to upgrade your Flash?

Videos work very smoothly for me and if it is not for you is it possible it could be a RAM, video card, video driver or other issue?
colyn

Post by colyn »

Open synaptic and type flash in the search box. Look for what is installed verified by the green box. It should be flashplugin-installer 10.1.102.65ubuntu0.10.04.1

If anything else in installed uninstall it then install the above.
spandey

Post by spandey »

What is the Graphics card you have?
soryu

Post by soryu »

i checked synaptic and no flash installed.(installer,non-free,adobe, 10.1.102.65ubuntu0.10.04.1)
i have an nvidia geforcefx5700le 256mb driver173.14.22.
also i've tried to different video cards same result. everything else video works.
was on xp before flash worked..i guess flash aid kinda work it removed all my flash but didn't install one . i ran it twice going to reinstall flash aid. let it choose best version.

Return to “Beginner Questions”