USB Memory Sticks

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ronandiver

USB Memory Sticks

Post by ronandiver »

Please forgive me I'm a complete PC dinosaur !! :oops: :oops:

I know absolutely nothing about memory sticks.......how do they work ?

1.Does linux need a unique stick......?
2.If i store something from a linux PC will it play on a windows PC ?
3.I have Veetle on my PC...if a film is playing this site and i plug a stick in,will it automatically save this onto it ? And then i can watch it if i plug it into my USB slot on my LCD TV ?
4.What memory do i need to watch movies ? 16gb...32....??

I do apologise but i'm totally ignorant when it comes to things like this !!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
beefstu

Re: USB Memory Sticks

Post by beefstu »

1. No. Any memory stick will do.
2. if it is formatted FAT (usually by default) then it should work in Linux, Windows and Mac
3. I don't know about Veetle, I've never used it so it may be possible to download a film on to it, however its very unlikely that it'll just play on your TV from the USB stick. What is possibly easier would be to connect your computer to the LCD with an HDMI cable or VGA cable. Generally speaking the USB port on a TV would only allow for playing of pictures as a slideshow, but if you check your manual or find the model online, it could be possible to play videos from it.
4. It depends! A standard DVD holds 4.7 GB, a .AVI film from the internet could be as small as 700MB, a blu-ray disk (for HD films) can hold 25GB so it depends on the quality, length and amount of films you would want to store
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

I will try to answer some of these for you.

1.Does linux need a unique stick......?----Depending on what you are doing if you are installing Mint on a USB Drive then I suggest 8 gig or better. Just for General File Storage then Size of the file can not exceed size of the Stick.

2.If i store something from a linux PC will it play on a windows PC ?---Generally yes. I save my Files as an AVI. I have not had any problems playing files on a windows box and linux box.

3.I have Veetle on my PC...if a film is playing this site and i plug a stick in,will it automatically save this onto it ? And then i can watch it if i plug it into my USB slot on my LCD TV ?-- if you want to save a file on the Stick you will have to do this manually.

4.What memory do i need to watch movies ? 16gb...32....??

I need to ask some questions

Are you running a Live CD?

Are you wanting to install Linux on your computer?

What are you actually trying to do. It will allow me or others to help you better if we know what you are trying to accomplish.

thanks
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
ronandiver

Post by ronandiver »

Willie42

I'm up & running fine with Linux Mint 10....just wanted to know how to save movies onto a USB stick and because it's linux,was it any different from other operating systems.

Am i being silly that if a movie is playing on my PC,i can just put the USB stick in and it magically saves it for me to play on my LCD TV later ?

I really am a complete novice !!
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Well if your TV supports AVI then and can play from a usb stick then you can rip a movie to an AVI using Aciddvd. then save it to the stick then you are good to go....but that will depend if your TV supports AVI
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.

Return to “Beginner Questions”