Broadcom driver install - how to remove

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trevorm

Broadcom driver install - how to remove

Post by trevorm »

SOLVED : I decided I had to get wired to the net, after pondering my original post -see below.

After hooking up I used SPM I found Jockey-gtk (that I'd uninstalled) - use the search function as there are too many packages to look manually. I did all the logical things like selecting it for installation, then "apply". This brought back the "Hardware Drivers" menu line in Administration (that went missing below, see at the end).

Things still looked the same, with no "removal button" evident - my original query. Then I selected the Broadcom STA driver that showed in the Hardware Drivers dialogue box (it was the only option) and "actvated" it. The difference this time, as I was connected to the web, was that the OS went off and downloaded the driver and installed it instead of throwing up an error message. THEN, in respect of my original post, the "remove" button did show. The implication here is that it was not showing originally because there was no driver installed that could be removed.

However, since this was a fresh install, I did not remove it, I just proceeded. Whilst there was a wired connection in place I could see no reference to any wireless (this may have been because I'd not rebooted), so I shut down the computer, disconnected the wired ethernet connection and rebooted.

Finally, SUCCESS !! My domestic signal was there to connect to. Simply following the obvious lead to my entering the encryption string when asked for (the wireless connection was already recognised as WPA2), and then my Asus/Linux password for the "you want to enter the ring?" dialogue and it was done. :D

ORIGINAL POSTING as below------------------------

I have checked around and it seems the problem I am having with not being able to see any wireless signal (let alone connect to it) with my new Linux Mint (Isadora) install on a Asus 1015PEM is that "things" need to be cleared before the broadcom drivers will install properly.

The system is basically OK as it is a duel boot system and Windows 7 can access the internet fine, and it is a netbook with no wire connection to the web.

My view on what seem to be "the solution" is based on the solved problem in a Ubantu forum per Dr. Chili555 (newyork ubantu forum..... item 1480671) which uses sudo apt-get remove --purge linux-backports-modules-* then navigate to system/admin/hardware drivers with click on SATA driver, remove, activate and restart to complete.

My main concern at the moment is that when I navigate to Hardware Drivers, I can see the relevant Broadcom STA driver, but there is no sign of any removal button, and missing this step and clicking "activate" immediate produces some sort of error message - which is presumably why the install did not work properly in the first place. Cannot remember exact words in the error message just now.

Can anyone advise on the "no removal button" issue - and anything else that might help with the above.

BREAKING NEWS ..... And in getting a little frustrated I just uninstalled (was it) jockey-gtk or similar (for managing gnome third party...) which seems to have deleted any reference (now) to Hardware Drivers, and that the system is trys to get it back from Ubantu online if I ask for a install via the software manager - well that's not going to work is it !! So what is the solution to getting jockey-gtk back if I need it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
abercrombieande

Re: Broadcom driver install - how to remove

Post by abercrombieande »

trevorm wrote: So what is the solution to getting jockey-gtk back if I need it.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install jockey-gtk 
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Broadcom driver install - how to remove

Post by TBABill »

The easiest way to remove the STA driver and make sure you are starting fresh is to go into Synaptic package manager and do a search. You may have to search a couple times to be sure you got everything. If I were doign it this way I would just do 3 searches for:

1st search - broadcom
2nd search - b43
3rd search - wl

Just mark any installed files for removal and you should be set. One thing I'm not sure about, however, is if that has any impact on a couple files (/etc/modules and /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf) when you do a removal this way. Hopefully someone who knows can pipe in on that part.

wl is the actual name of the STA driver for Broadcom cards. B43 is the other driver for Broadcom cards (there is also a b43 legacy). Which one you need is dependent upon your specific model of card. If you need the STA driver, just remember any reference to wl is the same thing.

Which version of Mint are you using? The STA in Mint 10 sometimes takes an extra step to get going after installed (sudo rfkill unblock all).

Return to “Beginner Questions”