Hi Im a noob and I dont know "ANYTHING"

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ds2992

Hi Im a noob and I dont know "ANYTHING"

Post by ds2992 »

So.... whats a
/swap partition?
/home partition?
/boot partition?
what are all these different file systems i can chose from in the installations partition thingy.
Why is my installation stuck on "configuring bootloader"?
After using microsoft for 15 years why do i know nothing about this stuff?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grey1960envoy

Re: Hi Im a noob and I dont know "ANYTHING"

Post by grey1960envoy »

Ok first you must forget Windows, this kind of thinking is going to get you very ticked off. The partitions are set up this way to help in the way Linux operates , /boot directs the Bios to the linux kernel, / root is the operating system /home is where your files are kept and the swap partition is basically to aid in running your programs. these partitions also aid in the reason Linux is virus free to an extent. The reason you don't know these is Windows /M$ won't let you know about such things ( you may learn something :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

In Windows speak:

/home = documents
/swap = pagefile
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Unlike Windows which automatically formats the drive to ntfs (the file system developed for the Windows NT series of OS), in Linux you can choose the file system you want to use. The default system is ext4, but you can use ext3, jfs, rieserfs, or any of the others offered. A little googling and reading will let you make a more informed choice.

Partitions are a mystery to most new Linux users since the only thing they know is the monolithic Windows approach of taking the entire drive and not telling you what it is doing in there. The absolute minimum needed for a Linux installation is a swap partition ( some people say you no longer need swap - more on this later) and a /(root) partition. If you choose the automatic installation either to the entire disk or side by side with another OS, this is what you get.

With manual partitioning you have much more control of things . You specify the partitions you want along with order, file system, and size of each partition. Here is a very good discussion of partitioning and installing Linux:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 872#p72906

As to why your installation stalled, there may be many reasons. Your best bet is to open a new topic in "Installation and Boot" and give as much information as you can.

This is not Microsoft Support. WE have no backdoors in Mint that allow us to see what is going on in your system, you must tell us and the more you can tell us the easier our job is.

Microsoft does not want you to know too much so you do not realize how deep and pervasive their control of your computer is when you use Windows.
ds2992

Post by ds2992 »

WOOHOO I did it. I installed linux mint debien on my laptop. I am now oober lite. you may all bow before me.

Return to “Beginner Questions”