Staying logged in Solved

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
richnbernie

Staying logged in Solved

Post by richnbernie »

My laptop that has 10, Gnome on it logs itself out if I do nothing for a certain time. The only things I have changed from the install is single click and screen resolution. This quite annoying as I have to enter my password again. Is Mint trying to protect me from myself?
I did some forum searching with no results so far. My applications are still there when this happens. While the updates were being done, I had to login every so often to see what was happening.
I looked in the Control Panel but did not see anything obvious.
Mint 7 Gnome does not do this.
I have a user name and password. I never run under Root. Saw this a lot in the forums.
This must be obvious to those of you who have been using Mint for some time. Thanks.

Rich
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richnbernie

Re: Staying loged in

Post by richnbernie »

I may have found the answer a few threads from this thread. I am trying it out now. I will put solved in if it works.
I was nt asking the question in a search, the correct way.
rich
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

menu>control center>login screen> ( set to login automatically)
richnbernie

Post by richnbernie »

wayne128 wrote:menu>control center>login screen> ( set to login automatically)
Ok, thanks but I never, ever set anything to login automatically. Keeps me from developing bad habits.
In all my forums, I always log out after a message. My way.

rich
richnbernie

Post by richnbernie »

richnbernie wrote:I may have found the answer a few threads from this thread. I am trying it out now. I will put solved in if it works.
I was nt asking the question in a search, the correct way.
rich
Ok, I tried the fix I found in, Computer keeps going to sleep, but no joy. I guess the system reverts back to the original settings after a reboot. Maybe I should try saving the change the next time and see what happens.
I am in the Usa and I guess those on the other side of the pond do things differently with pc's.
I still have MInt 7 on the same pc so I will continue to use that as long as I can or look for another linux system.

Cheers

rich
Last edited by richnbernie on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
richnbernie

Post by richnbernie »

Ran into another issue. I tried the fix and then tried to save but get a message that the program save is not installed yet. This is beginning to remind me of what Windows was like at one time.
Tomorrow is another day.

rich
conslie

Re: Staying logged in Solved

Post by conslie »

Was your default screensaver setting unchanged? Go to Menu/Preferences/Screensaver and click off the login and activate boxes. and assuming that works, then modify the settings to something you want. As I recall, default was to blank after 10 mins and require a login password to restart. Very excellent safe-computing practice. You can modify these safety defaults as you wish. 2 hours inactive before the next user needs to know and enter your password? Never, anyone always has full access? Your choice. The default is far less than fully secure, but it is not bad, You can move it in either direction, as you see fit.
richnbernie

Re: Staying logged in Solved

Post by richnbernie »

conslie wrote:Was your default screensaver setting unchanged? Go to Menu/Preferences/Screensaver and click off the login and activate boxes. and assuming that works, then modify the settings to something you want. As I recall, default was to blank after 10 mins and require a login password to restart. Very excellent safe-computing practice. You can modify these safety defaults as you wish. 2 hours inactive before the next user needs to know and enter your password? Never, anyone always has full access? Your choice. The default is far less than fully secure, but it is not bad, You can move it in either direction, as you see fit.
Thanks.
Right now I am staying with Mint 7. Lot less troubles. I am the only user.
And people tell me I am paranoid when I tell them I am using Linux.
I would hope the Mint developers could make a install option for a single user that would make newer Mint run like it does in 7.

rich

Return to “Beginner Questions”