Newbie. Does Linux Mint support Adobe Creative Suite?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bwz

Newbie. Does Linux Mint support Adobe Creative Suite?

Post by bwz »

I'm a newbie.

I want to install a Linux OS that supports Adobe CS.

Does Linux Mint support Adobe Creative Suite?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
randomizer

Re: Newbie. Does Linux Mint support Adobe Creative Suite?

Post by randomizer »

Which version? Technically Linux does not support Windows software out of the box, but it can be run through compatibility libraries like Wine. Older versions of CS (up to CS2 I think) should work ok, but perhaps not quite up to the stability or performance on Windows. Later versions (CS4 and 5, and perhaps 3) will be unlikely to run properly, or at all.

Check out the Wine application database to see what software runs, what runs well, and what doesn't run at all: http://appdb.winehq.org/
bwz

Post by bwz »

randomizer wrote:Which version? Technically Linux does not support Windows software out of the box, but it can be run through compatibility libraries like Wine. Older versions of CS (up to CS2 I think) should work ok, but perhaps not quite up to the stability or performance on Windows. Later versions (CS4 and 5, and perhaps 3) will be unlikely to run properly, or at all.

Check out the Wine application database to see what software runs, what runs well, and what doesn't run at all: http://appdb.winehq.org/
I use Adobe CS4.
If I had enough knowledge I'd write a program similar to Adobe Creative Suite for Linux, but I am an amateur.

Thanks for your reply and for the link!
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

There are already several good alternative applications for Linux that are comparable to Adobe programs.

Check out this list > http://www.linuxalt.com/

See if any of these will work as a replacement for Adobe CS? There are more besides these, too.
Granted they are not Adobe but the learning curve for using a new Linux-based App is small.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Similar Apps/Programs to Adobe CS . . . Inkscape, Blender, Vector Designer and Xara Xtreme are all in the Mint/Ubuntu repros.

Just a sudo apt-get install <app> away.
conslie

Post by conslie »

If none of the Linux native programs seem to fit your needs/working style, I use Wine to run PWP Pro. You can test it in Windows or install it via Wine following the instructions around midway through the thread http://www.dl-c.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=152 (just before conslie gave a thumbs-up). :) 30-day free trial.

GIMP is very powerful and there is an interface modification that makes it look and (appear to) work very much like Photoshop. I don't have that link, but that may be a good option to try.
Last edited by conslie on Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

I think you're referring to GIMPShop. The problem with that modified version of GIMP is that it hasn't been updated in a very long time. Its latest version runs on the 2.2.8 codebase while GIMP is up to 2.6.11 now.
conslie

Post by conslie »

Added the link to the previous post regarding Picture Windows Pro and Linux.

I think the answer is 'no' until Adobe says 'yes.' And somewhat only, far behind, as altruists work to get older releases working. Unless Adobe decides to instruct its hirelings to do Linux first or a close
second, this where things are. Find an alternative. it might be better.
deleted

Post by deleted »

I save myself the Wine headaches by running XP in a Virtual Machine on my Linux Mint Host.
I turn on Unity and it's seamless. I do this also with a Win7 guest on a Linux Mint 64 bit host, using VMWare.
-Hinto

Return to “Beginner Questions”