thinking of switching to lmde[SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Penguinclaw

Re: thinking of switching to lmde

Post by Penguinclaw »

craig10x wrote:
dante19992 wrote:awwwww but i like the splash screen -sulks-
Well, maybe eventually Clem will add it back in...i would imagine on a rolling set-up like this, those things can be sent to you if they make a change...i think he wasn't happy with it for some reason or another...which is why it hasn't initially been included...

Yeah... i liked it too...though i do find reading the data stuff kind of interesting...sounds so "scientific" :mrgreen:

Well, i just have LMDE on mine and this is a screenshot of how mine is set-up...no separate home but with swap partition....I wouldn't imagine you would need a separate home on a rolling distro...but your option, of course...In fact, if you have lots of memory you probably could just do the system partition with nothing else... but the auto installer always added swap so i did the same...

I wonder why you made your swap partition extended? For those interested you can only partition your hard-drive into 4 partitions max. Of course there are many situations where you would want more.... Seperate /. /var /home, /swap and (shiver) windows... etc. How can we do this? Well the way is to use extended partitions. So formatting your hard-drive with an extended partition, using say Gparted, you will then, within it, be able to create all your Linux partitions! Thus using this and a large hard-drive (and a little insanity) you could install all the different Linux flavours....with windows and BSD....... Now there's a little weekend project for someone :D
sgosnell

Re: thinking of switching to lmde[SOLVED]

Post by sgosnell »

The installer often makes an extended partition for swap without being asked or told.

If you really like a splash screen, you can add plymouth manually. It can be somewhat of a pain to configure properly, but it can be done. For details, read the Debian wiki.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

sgosnell wrote:The installer often makes an extended partition for swap without being asked or told.

If you really like a splash screen, you can add plymouth manually. It can be somewhat of a pain to configure properly, but it can be done.
Exactly, that extended partition on my new LMDE install is a "leftover" from my old mint main edition auto-installed version...i just kept everything to the same sizes and configurations as the old system had...for simplicity sake..since i was a complete "newbie" at using a manual installer...

Just curious (in case i ever need to re-install..hopefully not...lol)

Can you just set up your system partition and the "swap" partition without bothering to add "extension" as i currently have?
Is "extension" really needed? Just curious :wink:
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Sure, you can make the swap partition a primary partition, as long as you don't already have too many. Four primary partitions is the limit, and it doesn't hurt anything at all to have swap on a logical partition inside an extended partition.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thanks for clearing that up and i will definitely keep it in mind :D
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

A lot of the Partitioning depends on what you want to do with your system. If you want to run multiple linuxes, then having a home Partition is pretty common.

If not, then you can just have a swap area (common is 2x RAM up to 4GB Max) for suspend, or if you out run your RAM (Common on older machines), the rest can be used for "root" (Similar to what craig10x has done). I've even heard some say they don't even create a swap area.

It's Linux. You make it what you want. Trial and Error, sometimes, is the best way to learn.

My .02,
Dave
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Waaayy off topic, but what's the number on your StL jersey, Dave? 8) :lol:
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

sgosnell wrote:Waaayy off topic, but what's the number on your StL jersey, Dave? 8) :lol:
Not a St Louis Jersey.

I thought that was part of what the OP was asking. :oops:

My Bad,
Dave

Return to “Beginner Questions”