More Mint problems

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

More Mint problems

Postby natwestcup on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:28 am

This expedition into Linux is making me wonder if Bill's evil empire isn't so bad afterall. It looks to me like you need a degree in IT to mess with Linux.

I found more problems with Mint on my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo L1310G

Every now and again the usb mouse freezes and I have to reboot to get it back.

When it happens, usually when resizing windows or scrolling, I can still control the mouse pointer using the scratch pad but it's a bit confusing as to what's going on.

Also Mint seems to run very slowly when compared with Windows is that normal?

Any ideas chaps?
natwestcup
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:54 am

I disagree with the degree in IT, but with Linux you have to install and configure the pc yourself, Windows often is shipped preinstalled...
I don't know what's with your mouse - are you sure the hardware is OK?
If Mint is slower that Windows something is definitely wrong....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: More Mint problems

Postby BakUp on Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:28 pm

natwestcup wrote:It looks to me like you need a degree in IT to mess with Linux.

Try to be patient, learning Linux is not difficult, it just requires a learning curve for anyone that has the desire to change. I am sure no one ever learned MS Windows in a day or so either.

Also Mint seems to run very slowly when compared with Windows is that normal ?

No !

Stay with Mint if you can natwestcup, later you will be glad you did I believe.

And welcome to the Mint forums natwestcup !

cheers,
BakUp
BakUp
Level 4
Level 4

Postby natwestcup on Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:51 pm

I am grateful for your words of encouragement even though they don't exactly help fix anything.

The mouse problem seems to be as common on the Ubuntu forum as the Wifi issue is here. On both forums the problem reports far outweigh the fixes and most of the latter require a more than passing knowledge of IT.

On my laptop, Mint does run very slowly compared with Windows. In fact I would say it runs slower now that it's installed than it did from the live cd. Maybe I should re-install?

I have on several occasions formated my disc and re-loaded various Windows versions and in all cases the install loaded eveything required. In the case of Mint I can't even get the thing working properly after a week.

I am very sure if I knew a lot more than I do now, Linux would be a novel system to have but currently it seems to be the domain of tecnnically competent enthusiasts. There are far too many shortcomings for it to be considered as a serious contender for everyday business use.

Linux seems to have potential but until someone grasps the nettle and develops it as a "real" alternative to Windows, Bill Gates will both continue to dictate and laugh all the way to the bank.

Sadly for me I have already spent many hours reading this and that yet I still don't have anything usable never mind an alternative.

I will continue to try but unfortunately Vista beckons for my next company PC.
natwestcup
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dberg918 on Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:46 am

If you're gonna stick with Bill, at least stay with XP. If you think Linux is frustrating, I couldn't even imagine what you'd say about Vista.

I've tested Vista to see if it was worth the upgrade from XP, and I'm so glad I didn't buy it. If I had my heart set on running Vista, I would've had to buy a new machine just to be able to use it! It is simply a monster that burns through resources like nothing I've ever seen before. You shouldn't have to buy new hardware every 2 years just to keep up with the software. I think Linux is a testament to the fact that Microsoft has been infected with "feature creep," they keep adding things without taking anything away. Sure Vista might look nice on a machine that was bought 5 or 6 months ago, but Linux can essentially look and function the same way on a machine from 5 years ago.

Sorry for the long rant, and even more so that you're having such a tough time with Linux. I'm very new to Linux as well, and I've had my fair share of struggles, especially doing the command line stuff. Sometimes it does seem like you need a PhD in Computer Science to do something as simple as delete a file outside of your /home folder, but ultimately I know that there's a reason for it. It means that Linux is protecting me, that I don't have to worry about anti-virus software or firewalls, which have caused me even more pain and frustration when using Windows.

So stick with it if you can, and if not, at least stick with XP. Vista isn't worth your time. Unless, of course, your company doesn't give you a choice. Then just prepare yourself :(
dberg918
Level 2
Level 2

hint

Postby dracorX on Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:07 am

Well, I understand your frustration, though I don't agree that you need to be in IT to get it working.

Now, I don't know about the mouse problem. As for the speed: could you indicate something more about your PC?

And concerning knowledge: on http://linuxbasics.org/forum/index.php?board=2.0 a free linux course starts. Aimed at beginners. If you are interested, we might meet there ( I am not a beginner, but a refresher is always good ).
dracorX
Level 3
Level 3

More Mint problems

Postby BakUp on Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:48 am

dberg918 wrote: I would've had to buy a new machine just to be able to use it! It is simply a monster that burns through resources like nothing I've ever seen before. (

You are correct on your comment about purchasing a new machine (I did buy a new one but not for Vista), it has Vista home edition and it runs slow with 512MB ram.

With a dual boot I am running Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna BETA 021 which runs fast, smooth with no problems what so ever on my Acer Aspire 3680 laptop.

Here are the specs:

Acer Aspire 3680-2633
- Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic
- Intel® Celeron® M Processor 520
- 512MB PC4200 DDR2 RAM
- 80GB 4200RPM Ultra ATA Hard Drive
- Combo DVD-ROM/CD-RW Drive
- 14.1" Widescreen XGA CrystalBrite Display
- 802.11b/g Wireless Network
Processor Speed 1.60GHz
Display Type 14.1" Widescreen XGA CrystalBrite Display
RAM Installed / Max RAM Supported 512MB PC-4200 DDR2 RAM (Expandable to 2GB)
Memory Configuration (1) 512MB SO-DIMM Memory Module

cheers,
BakUp
BakUp
Level 4
Level 4

Postby WinXpNewb on Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:58 pm

"Also Mint seems to run very slowly when compared with Windows is that normal?"

No. I have more browser windows opened with Mint Gnome than WinXp. Also when Gnome eats 100 % process, my system feels more stable and faster (1gb ram, 2.8 ghz p4). I can even move the mouse in certain cases, open some programs or ctrl alt F1, open htop and kill some process without feeling like it's eating my processes and then ctrl alt f7 back.

One thing that I would've hoped was more pronounced than a search in the Mint forums is this tweak:

Care for some memory tuning maybe? Add these lines to the end of your '/etc/sysctl.conf' file:

/etc/sysctl.conf:
Code:
# Swappiness
# Modification of Swappiness according to this URL:
# http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=43
# '100' swaps at maximum rate = good for slow machines with little RAM
# '0' tries to avoid swapping = good for fast machines with lots of RAM
# Linux Kernel's default value is 60! (this sucks!)
#
vm.swappiness=1
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50
... then reboot so that the changes can take effect (there is a way to activate them without rebooting ... it's just I don't remember it at the moment Laughing )

This should increase the perceived speed of your machine and make things 'snappier' .... it sure as hell did on my systems

Reload them with this command for no reboot:

Quote:
/sbin/sysctl -p

and this:

Remove programs based on Mono (Banshee/Tombo/Incollector/Beagle):

It is a Mono (the reimplementation of Microsoft .NET) application and comes with 3 .exe files, 47 .dll files and 17 .mdb files — exactly what you needed to feel "at home" in Linux.

Also I recently found out that there's a possible memory leak with gnome cups icon which I keep seeing but didn't credit as a memory leak until frustrated I did a search in Google and killing the process really helped get rid of the annoying memory eating feeling that I thought was normal to Mint and I'm also waiting for the XFCE community edition Daryna and try to switch it so I can squeeze more tabs into my browser. Would've gone the fluxbox, icewm, Slax based distroes except as you kindly pointed out, I don't have a degree in IT and haven't gotten the time to learn about Linux further so I'm stuck on the Mint Gateway for now. Luckily it's one of the best distroes.

Edit: Btw that tweak if wrongfully set can slow down your pc. I didn't consider pointing it out at first because it didn't seem to mess up my system and it didn't get the warning that most Linux experts scream about when setting up tweaks.

Ex. setting Linux as permanent root

Although it can. I don't know the technical details but it was in the original thread where I got that advise. I believe it was scorp who posted about the tweak and violin who posted the portion about mono.
WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

Postby natwestcup on Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:45 pm

"The lord (and Linux) looks after his own"
...well maybe?

I think I may have actually fixed something.

I found a window called "Restricted Drivers" an noticed that there was an entry for my graphics card "ATI accelerated graphics driver" that wasn't 'enabled' or 'in use'.

Well I clicked the box - something downloaded and hey I have used Mint for over 30 minutes and so far no mouse problem and speed is as expected.

Did I do something wonderous or has something healed up?

I did try to add the suggested changes to the sysctl.conf file but Mint said I didn't have permission and so far I havn't worked out how to use the root or sudo thing with textpad.

For those who asked my PC is a Fujitsu Siemens L1310G Laptop about 12 months old
512 mb ram
60mb hard drive dived into 30mb eacvh between Windows XP and Mint
I used the guided install which did all the partitioning for me so I suppose the swap file area is 512mb too(?)
The Wifi is an Atheros AR5005G
Network adapter Broadcom 400x (whatever that is)
There's a hot key on the dash board to activate the Wifi but it doesn't work in Mint - so far!

Now if I can fix the Wifi I'm up and running - does anyone know if Mint comes with MadWifi or if MadWifi is the fix I may need to get the hot key to work?
natwestcup
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:31 pm

What you did with the restricted driver was the fix!
With a proper driver your card works much better. You still may or may not be able to use Beryl/Compiz depending on card an driver
Mint does not have MadWifi, but it seems to help some people
You have a Broadcom aka bcm43xx a well known problem in Linux and to a lesser extent also in Windows...
I think following the wiki will get you going. Go for the Linux driver first
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/MintWifi
God luck
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions