Apache install

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tonivines

Apache install

Post by tonivines »

I'm totally new to this so please help!
I'm up for hosting my own website. I've installed Apache but it doesn't seem to be there! I can't find it as a program!!!! I'm running Mint 10. Can anyone help please?
Thanking you,
Toni Vines.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kendall

Re: Apache install

Post by Kendall »

To install Apache I firmly recommend a full LAMP stack which is easy to set up. LAMP stands for Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP. Install it using the following command, it'll prompt you to set up a root password for MySQL which you may opt out of if you don't plan on using any MySQL databases.

Code: Select all

sudo tasksel install lamp-server
Apache is a webserver, not a traditional application so it doesn't run as such. You'll need to start Apache either by using a command I can't recall off the top of my head at the moment, or by rebooting your system. To access Apache you navigate to either http://localhost or 127.0.0.1 in a web browser. To add content to apache you simply place files in your /var/www directory. and navigate to them directly using your browser.
tonivines

Post by tonivines »

Why oh why is everything so bloody difficult with Linux? I've followed the above advice but nothing!
I'm keen to try and host my own website but I don't seem to be able to even get the program running! Someone help please?
unexistance

Post by unexistance »

Hi,

What do you mean by nothing? May we know so that we can help?

regards,
tonivines

Post by tonivines »

OK, I've installed Apache but I can't find it in the programs. I've done a search and it says it's there but where? Should I be using the terminal? If so what would the command be?
Sorry to be so thick, I'm a bit out of my depth here.
Thanking you,
Toni Vines.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

In order to install LAMP via tasksel, you will need to first install tasksel. It (tasksel) used to be installed by default.

<opinion> It is well worth the extra step to install tasksel then install LAMP via tasksel. Definitely one of the "Easy Buttons". </opinion>

-DataMan
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Apache is a webserver. You access the webserver via your browser. ie. http://localhost/index.html

-DataMan
tonivines

Post by tonivines »

OK, I think I've got it now! Thank you for you're kind help. Sorry if I sounded grumpy - I've just given up smoking!!!!
Cheers!
All the best,
Toni.
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

To test your installation of Apache to see if it was successful enter:

http//:local host/ in the top line of the browser where you see the web site information.

If you were successful you will get a message "It works".
tonivines

Post by tonivines »

Yes! It Works!!!
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

tonivines wrote:I'm keen to try and host my own website...
Note that this is only a local install of Apache and that you can only access with your system. If you want to host a website with the intention of everyone seeing it, then you need to set up a dedicated server with a static IP (talk with your ISP about obtaining a static IP). I strongly recommend using Ubuntu Server Edition or CentOS for this rather than using a distro put together with a focus on desktop computing. If you want a domain name for your address, then you'd need to look into that and what sort of DNS options you can dig up.

Personally I use a LAMP install on my machine for the sole purpose of site development (only theme development when I'm using Drupal/Wordpress/Joomla). Every site I've ever built is hosted with a hosting company except for one that's on a server I administer for a local company (it's their website so it only made sense). For my personal site and for smaller commercial sites that will likely receive very little traffic I use http://www.freelinuxhosting.net/ as the uptime is better than most other free hosting providers and the features are excellent for something that doesn't cost anything.

Return to “Beginner Questions”