[SOLVED!] Fritz!box 7390 or Billion BiPAC 7800n modem router

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
laptopray

[SOLVED!] Fritz!box 7390 or Billion BiPAC 7800n modem router

Post by laptopray »

Hi. I'm thinking of buying a Fritz!box 7390 or Billion BiPAC 7800n wireless-n modem router to replace my ageing Netgear DG834, with which I use an equally old Apple Airport Express to give me a wireless connection. The Fritz seems to win hands down on specification, but the Billion is rather cheaper!

Does anyone have any experience of these or any other Fritz or Billion modem routers which might deter me from trying it out? Or should I try an alternative make, anyway. Ideas/suggestions welcome!

I use Mint 10 and LMDE on my laptop, and I shall soon be replacing my iMac with a new desktop dual-booting with Mint 10 and Mepis 8. :D

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
germanix

Re: Fritz!box 7390 or Billion BiPAC 7800n modem router

Post by germanix »

I am now on my third Fritz!Box. I started with the 7050 then moved to the 7170 model and am now using the 7270 version. I still have them all and they all work great. I run 5 computers off my Fritz!Box, 1 via lan and the others all wlan. I have never had any problems with any of my boxes. They are fast, reliable and the company provides good service should you require it. Here in Germany it is regarded as one of the best boxes on the market. My service provider gives me a new Fritz!Box every two years when I renew my account. That is the only reason why I have three lying around, and all are still working perfectly. I can use the older models that I have as repeaters if I want but although my house is spread over three floors I get good reception on all the floors without a repeater. So I guess what I am saying is that quality does come at a price but is worth it in the long run. (Buying cheap often turns out to be more expensive!)
laptopray

Re: Fritz!box 7390 or Billion BiPAC 7800n modem router

Post by laptopray »

Thanks, germanix. That's a really useful reply, which I suppose I was expecting anyway. Whichever site I look at, I find exceptional reviews of the Fritz. I have now gone ahead and ordered one. It should be arriving on Tuesday!

Return to “Beginner Questions”