Losing free space on USB?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cod500

Losing free space on USB?

Post by cod500 »

Hello I am new to Linux and this forum, sorry if this is a stupid question. I have mint on a usb persistent on my laptop. I notice that my free space keeps going down and there is no way to get it back. I even tried bleachbit but it only got back 150mb of my lost space. Where exactly does mint put the files it uses? I wish to get my free space back. Thankyou.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Losing free space on USB?

Post by viking777 »

I know nothing about persistent usb installs, but on my hard drive install I noticed a similar situation a couple of days ago. The culprit in my case and perhaps in yours is the apt cache. The cure it to run the terminal command

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get autoclean
Which will remove a lot of the files therein, or if the problem is very serious

sudo apt-get clean
Which will remove all the files.

The only consequence is that if you choose to reinstall a program at a later stage you will have to download it over again rather than using the locally cached version.

Hope that helps.
cod500

Post by cod500 »

Thank you for your response but that did not seem to help. It did something then said done, but when i checked my free space it was the same. Is there a disk usage analyzer or something? I can't seem to find on in Linux mint 9 xfce.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Open a terminal

cd /
then

sudo du -xs * | sort -n
Will arrange all your folders in size order lowest to highest size (in kilobytes).
cod500

Post by cod500 »

Thanks for the help but i still cant retrieve my lost files. Is this just a problem with linux mint?

Return to “Beginner Questions”