**SOLVED** RAID Install Woes

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shurguywutt

**SOLVED** RAID Install Woes

Post by shurguywutt »

I have a complex situation. One that I need advice on. I will try to keep it short and to the point.

I HAVE NO OTHER OPERATING SYSTEMS ON MY COMPUTER. COMPLETELY OS CLEAN! I WANT TO USE MINT ONLY!

I want to install LMDE on some kind of RAID (have both hardraid and softraid abilities).
I have a MB RAID controller.
I have a PCIe RAID controller.

I want all of the boot/OS files on my smaller RAID array (2 x 150GB,10000RPM).
I want my extension on my larger RAID array (2x 1000 GB, 7200 RPM).

Now it gets tricky.
I cannot (or just cant figure out) how to put the entire boot/os/extension on the hardware RAID because it fails to boot even though it is installed on the RAID. (Cannot get the drivers configured at the hardware RAID startup).

So it brings me back to software raid on my mb. However, when I enable MB raid it deactivates my PCIe RAID card. I am able to install my os to software raid on my mb but I would like to use my PCIe card too.

Am I able to use a pendrive as the boot the device to load the drivers for my hardware raid so I can just boot everything straight off my PCIe card? (I would prefer this).

Otherwise I want to install LMDE on my softraid and make the hardraid the extension (so I can install the raid drivers on my boot drive and have the hardraid seen).

Thanks for your help!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shurguywutt

Re: **SOLVED** RAID Install Woes

Post by shurguywutt »

Solved the problem on my other thread:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=64022

Return to “Beginner Questions”