Free space & Available space - sys monitor

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nippon

Free space & Available space - sys monitor

Post by Nippon »

Hello to everyone am new here :D and am happy same time
Have some maybe easy question 4 u but through using Mint over 2 months i did not find answer on this.
As you see on pic below, what is that about, FREE SPACE and AVAILABLE, where are those almost 3 GB on 1 partition and 5GB on 2 partition?
What for linux not letting me use it all?

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Free space & Available space - sys monitor

Post by rivenathos »

Welcome to the forum!

Well, by default, Debian-based distros reserve 5% of every partition. The 5% is a safety buffer so you can log in to your / if it ever gets full. This is fine in /, but unnecessary in /home or /data. Instead of 5%, you can get by with 1% or even 0%.

If you are interested. this is how that space can be easily reclaimed.

Root privileges in Terminal are necessary for the tweak.

The tweak is using tune2fs. Using tune2fs normally requires it to be run on an unmounted partition. However, this particular tweak can be performed while mounted. Standard warnings apply, so beware before proceeding.

Determine which partitions you wish to tune. Your choice.

Here is what I do:

Code: Select all

sudo tune2fs -m 0 /dev/sda3
or

Code: Select all

sudo tune2fs -m 1 /dev/sda3
Notice the “0″ in the first example and the “1″ in the second example. Those are the percentages you can choose. I use “0″ on my /data, which is sda3. If your home is on sda5 or sda6, adjust the code to your needs.

Once your tweak is completed, go back and check your “free” and “available” numbers. if you chose the “0″ percentage, your numbers should now be the same.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
Nippon

Post by Nippon »

:P
Thank you for fast and fully well explained answer, that resolve any of my doubts about it.
Now i know what's for is that about, and, well i don't need that space much but nice to know whats going on inside the system :wink:
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Glad this answered your question. I hope you are enjoying your Linux Mint experience thus far.

The 5% used to be a tiny amount when hard drives were smaller, but with the huge drives we use today, the reserved percentage becomes noticeable.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
Pranaone

Post by Pranaone »

will this work on lmde?

Return to “Beginner Questions”