Best Version To Install?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Best Version To Install?

Postby Stupidkid on Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:19 am

Im looking to completly get rid of Windows on my second room PC. I decided i'd like to have my Main computer running XP. my mac book and then Linux. Good to have a assortment. So which would everyone suggest. I want to install Celena. But would it be really slow?

Intel Celeron CPU 2.70GHz
256mb RAM
Bios - Phoenix Award BIOS v6.00PG
Hard Drive 30GB

So whats the Suggestions? Im also interested in maybe installing Daryna
Stupidkid
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:19 am

Welcome to Mint Stupidkid
This must be the old crappy Celeron divide cpu frequency by three and it's about what you get in performance 256 MB ram is also low, but while it may be slow to install, Celena will run fine. I have a feeling that Daryna uses more RAM - my comp is using 290 MB now in Cassandra/Celena it was generally about 230 MB
Also the video card is important, but I guess you have Intel video and it should not give problems
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby BlahBlah_X on Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:10 pm

I wouldn't recommend this, but if you wait patiently untill the daryna release you can install:

1) Daryna XFCE Edition- Uses the XFCE Desktop Environment. Needs about as much HD space (a bit less) then the normal edition, but is faster. Does include extras like Compiz Fusion, and all mintapps and codecs.

2) Daryna MiniCd Edition- Uses a stripped down GNOME. Fits on a 350mb mini cd, and doesnt take up much space on the hard drive. No extras, but all the minty stuff (apps and codecs). Is pretty darn fast for gnome.
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Stupidkid on Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:52 pm

Alright, Celena it is. I figure that if i like it alot, I'll upgrade the PC and throw a gig of ram in it. Then run Daryna

Thanks!
Stupidkid
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lolo Uila on Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:52 am

Actually, with only 256MB of RAM I'd recommend Cassandra XFCE. It runs very well on lean systems. I've installed it on a couple of old Pentium-3 systems with very good results.

Aloha, Tim
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:17 am

Come to think of it.
Bot the live cd and create a swap partition, then reboot and the swap will be used - helps a lot...
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions