Trouble Booting into lmde (solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pranaone

Trouble Booting into lmde (solved)

Post by Pranaone »

I wanted 3d rendering on an intel graphic card in lmde. So after searching forums i got to know about KMS modesetting.

I tried editing /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
and added the following:
# Enable Kernel Modesetting
intel_agp
drm
i915 modeset=1

then i did updated my initramfs with: update-initramfs -u

and rebooted now i get a blank screen with a blinking cursor on the top left.and it doesn't accept any commands

What should i do boot to my desktop??

This post is also related http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 12#p371912
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sgosnell

Re: Trouble Booting into lmde

Post by sgosnell »

Boot from an external drive, and undo the changes you made. Before you muck around with system files, you should make backups of the files, and make sure you have an available boot drive.
Pranaone

Post by Pranaone »

I have LMDE on a usb drive as well. I've undone all changes use it, but still the problem persist. I have to find a way to update initramfs somehow, to make it register the changes but don't how.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

boot from LiveCD/media

run gparted
select appropriate sdX where X is your bootable LMDE drive.
Right mouse click on partition and use Check.

Let us know...
Pranaone

Post by Pranaone »

Habitual wrote:boot from LiveCD/media

run gparted
select appropriate sdX where X is your bootable LMDE drive.
Right mouse click on partition and use Check.

Let us know...
Thanks but i backed my file to an external drive and reinstalled Lmde.

Return to “Beginner Questions”