Can´t run multiple displays.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bachi

Can´t run multiple displays.

Post by bachi »

Hi..
I´m really new to this Linux-world and I have hit an obstacle.
The Problem is that my Linux does not find my TV trough the Monitor-Settings-Menu!
I have goggled the problem but the answers are way to advanced for me to understand.. so can
someone please help me understand how I should make my TV be a second Display? If its a clone or
an exstention doesn't matter, the most important thing is that I can watch movies on it. ;)

I have Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT.
Computer-monitor: Samsung Syncmaster
TV: Also Samsung
It´s connected with a S-video -cable.

Sorry about my bad English, and bad knowledge about Linux.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pompom

Re: Can´t run multiple displays.

Post by pompom »

Welcome to Linux Mint!

Before configuring anything, it is important to backup your current configuration, so that we can restore it if anything does not work as expected.

Code: Select all

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
Next, enable restricted drivers System->Administration->Hardware Drivers if you have not done this already. If you have installed compiz desktop effects, make sure they are enabled.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings
sudo nvidia-settings
You should see your current settings and disabled TV settings, click TV display and click on configure, select TwinView, if there is an option to enable S-Video as output type, make sure that it is selected. Save settings. Reboot. Next, turn on your TV and go into settings. You should be able to select Auto-Detect option, if this is available, the TV will check each port for incoming signal. If there is no such option, manually select S-Video. Save settings.

Cheers,

pompom
bachi

Post by bachi »

Thank you so much. it worked.
I still had some small difficulties but rebooting solves everything... 8)
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

Please mark your Topic as Solved by going to your original post, and add (Solved) in the Subject line.

Thank You, and Happy Minting,
Dave

Return to “Beginner Questions”