Mounted files appear to be 'lost' ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blackice11

Mounted files appear to be 'lost' ?

Post by blackice11 »

Hi, firstly my apologies if I´m posting in the wrong topic as this is my first, however this is probably staring me right in the face. My problem is as follows :
I had the 'GLib warning: unknown user ID' message while booting and kind of crapped myself as I have really important photos on my sda1. Thinking I would lose them I ran the Live CD... I was ging to fix the boot problem too so any help on that would also be great !!! Anyway I unmounted then remounted the /dev/sda1 which contained both Mint 9 and my said photos. Well do you think I can find them? Hell no ! As I said the solution is probably in front of my eyes but can someone please help me access them? Kind regards :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mounted files appear to be 'lost' ?

Post by phd7 »

I Havent seen this message before. at what point did you get it?
Are these photos saved in Mint home?
so you ran a live CD, I assume you opened a file manager and looked in the mint partition / home/your name/pictures? Correct so far?

Dont panic, Unless you have managed to wipe the whoile disk they are still there.
blackice11

Post by blackice11 »

Yes... I looked in the Mint folder and I also ran GParted which told me the drive was mounted in both /mnt and /recovery. And so I sat twiddling my thumbs, posted the message on this forum, and now it says the drive is still mounted yet /dev/sda1 has 35gb free. Whch was about what I had USED for all the files. Yet miraculously I have this free space. Going back in to GParted the drive is still mounted and flagged as boot which it always was, but I still can´t find the files and I am thinking maybe it wiped itself somehow. I did not touch anything. One minute I had the majority of the drive memory used.... Next thing you know I have all this free space !! Could it not have compressed the contents in a read-only somewhere ?
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 »

with the file manager on the Live CD, can you look into the partition in question? Do you have more than 1 partition?
If you are really stuck and have deleted the partitions you could use photorec (part of trstdisk, which may already be installed.) You should be able to find testdisk via synaptic
instructions here
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec ... ng_systems

Return to “Beginner Questions”