Which distro for video editing?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
m005k

Which distro for video editing?

Post by m005k »

I have heard good things about Mint. I see you have several version that can be downloaded. Primarily I want to use Kdenlive to do video editing. I will be putting it on a 4 gig flash drive to run on my laptop. I assume the DVD versions would have more codices install. What would you suggest?

Mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Which distro for video editing?

Post by vrkalak »

The OS distro has very litte to with Video Editing.

Although, there are some Linux OS/distros that are made specifically for Media.
There are several Ubuntu-based distros that do this.
Checkout > UbuntuStudio, Mythbuntu, UltimateLinuxOS, PinguyOS, SuperOS and others.

Mint does not specialize in Media, though you can always install most any App/program you need with Mint.

What you would need to do is install the appropriate Video and Video Editing Apps/software for Linux.
There are many good video editing Apps available within the Mint/Ubuntu repositories through the Synaptic Manager.
Open Synaptic a 'search' for Video Editing, read the synopsis and decide if there are any of these for you.

Look through these links for some ideas and try some of the Video Editing packages:
http://www.linuxalt.com/
penguinuser

Re: Which distro for video editing?

Post by penguinuser »

Because Kdenlive is a KDE application you should get the KDE version of Mint.

If you want to use the GNOME version of MInt a good video editor for GNOME is Openshot.

Return to “Beginner Questions”