(solved)fan stopping, same point on celena or daryna livecd

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

(solved)fan stopping, same point on celena or daryna livecd

Postby caddi fuller-Teabags on Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:25 am

I am a newbie so please be gentle with me.

I posted here with this problem but have decided to edit my post as it was, basically, crap. I have since read around various forums and googled for an answer but still cannot find an one.

I am trying to install Mint 3 (celena) on a winfast desktop running an AMD sempron 3000, but cannot get the livecd to run without stopping the main cpu fan.
I have tried

using the daryna livecd (same problem)
    launching normally
    Launching into safe graphics mode.
    deleting the quiet splash and typing noacpi
    deleting the quiet splash and typing noapci
    deleting the quiet splash and typing noacpi noapci
    changing the hard drive
    putting a socking great desk fan trained onto the open side of the PC (since I had the idea that if I could install mint onto it I could bypass the problem on the live cd?)

This led to another problem - namely that starting the partitioner seems to stick at 6% - it has been there for ten minutes before I shut the PC down for fear of burning my system.

I already have windows xp on the hdd (samsung sp1604n -I tried another hdd and still had the problem) and have unallocated disk space in readiness for the install.

I am sorry that I was such a berk last time, and I hope that I have given enough information this time for someone to help me.
Last edited by caddi fuller-Teabags on Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
caddi fuller-Teabags
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby caddi fuller-Teabags on Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:40 am

OOps.

Should this be posted under the installation section? I posted it here because I am a newbie and thought that I probably wouldn't understand instructions on the non-newbie forum.

If it needs moving could someone do that for me please?
caddi fuller-Teabags
Level 1
Level 1

Postby caddi fuller-Teabags on Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:09 pm

Please could i bump this, now I have edited the initial question
caddi fuller-Teabags
Level 1
Level 1

Re: (solved)fan stopping, same point on celena or daryna livecd

Postby caddi fuller-Teabags on Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:22 pm

I was able to disable smartfan in BIOS as someone suggested. Many thanks.
caddi fuller-Teabags
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions