How do I set up dual-boot Mint/win 7 w/truecrypt bootloader?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
x0fx3

How do I set up dual-boot Mint/win 7 w/truecrypt bootloader?

Post by x0fx3 »

I just built a new system, that I would like to set up dual boot on a 1tb HDD with Mint 10 and Windows 7. I would also like to use truecrypt to encrypt my Win7 partition and use the tc bootloader (enter password for win7 or hit esc to load Mint. I'm just not sure what order I should go about installing what OS first? I also want to partition the system for /home /root /swap (and boot but not sure if I really need one for /boot?) Also I have 8gb's of ram and plan to add 8 more at some point in the not to distant future. So should I make the /swap big enough to compensate for the future added ram?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Elisa

Re: How do I set up dual-boot Mint/win 7 w/truecrypt bootloa

Post by Elisa »

Do u wanna choose such TrueCrypt solution that even bootloader should be encrypted?
If so, AFAIK this feature is supported just by win-Truecrypt, not linuxed TrueCrypt.
So, due theses difficulties, it'd be maybe more clever to address the question to TrueCrypt crew... :?
x0fx3

Post by x0fx3 »

Elisa wrote:Do u wanna choose such TrueCrypt solution that even bootloader should be encrypted?
If so, AFAIK this feature is supported just by win-Truecrypt, not linuxed TrueCrypt.
So, due theses difficulties, it'd be maybe more clever to address the question to TrueCrypt crew... :?
I just want to use the truecrypt bootloader and not grub. I am thinking I install Mint first and then install windows then after installing windows, install truecrypt and go through the settings for multi-boot and then it will use its bootloader. I'm just not sure if thats the right order. Or if it will work with windows > Mint (mint installs grub) > then go back into windows and install TC > TC overwrites grub with its bootloader?
Maestro23

Post by Maestro23 »

x0fx3 wrote:
Elisa wrote:Do u wanna choose such TrueCrypt solution that even bootloader should be encrypted?
I just want to use the truecrypt bootloader and not grub. I am thinking I install Mint first and then install windows then after installing windows, install truecrypt and go through the settings for multi-boot and then it will use its bootloader. I'm just not sure if thats the right order. Or if it will work with windows > Mint (mint installs grub) > then go back into windows and install TC > TC overwrites grub with its bootloader?
Used some Google-Fu & found some links that might help. Good luck.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4287308
http://blog.mfabrik.com/2008/07/15/perf ... -and-luks/
http://pzolee.blogs.balabit.com/en/2010 ... ot-system/
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

x0fx3 wrote:I just want to use the truecrypt bootloader and not grub. I am thinking I install Mint first and then install windows then after installing windows, install truecrypt and go through the settings for multi-boot and then it will use its bootloader. I'm just not sure if thats the right order. Or if it will work with windows > Mint (mint installs grub) > then go back into windows and install TC > TC overwrites grub with its bootloader?
Oh, ok then. I was thinking of another feature of TrueCrypt :)
Yep, the Maestro23 URL tips are cool 8)
x0fx3

Post by x0fx3 »

I'm till not sure about the partitions. I'm guessing my swap needs to be 24gb and my /home and /root need need to be a good size. Windows 7 installs a hidden partition that will screw up your harddrive if you try to remove it, so you have to partition the HD first before installing Win7.

Thanks for the links Maestro, I had the last link already but not the other 2.

Return to “Beginner Questions”