[solved]set time, change owner name and password

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

[solved]set time, change owner name and password

Postby pottzie on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:08 pm

I'm not having much luck getting Mint 9 to show the time right. I've tried using the Time/Date from the menu, and have downloaded the program to sync with time servers, but still show the wrong time.

And is there a way to change the root name and password? I know it's an odd request, but I was planing on getting rid of this computer, and installed Mint thinking that whoever got it would want to change it when they got it. After playing with it, I've decided to keep it! It has an Intel motherboard that until now, hasn't worked well with the newer kernels. But thanks to Mint, it works too good to get rid of!
Last edited by pottzie on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pottzie
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: set time, change owner name and password

Postby dawgdoc on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:33 pm

See if this will fix it for you:
Open up the file /etc/default/rcS, change the UTC setting to "no" if it was set to "yes", or visa versa. Reboot to effect change.
posted by proxima_centauri viewtopic.php?f=46&t=56006&p=321685&hilit=lmde+clock#p320997

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 Dual-Boot: Mint 17 Cinnamon, LMDE
READING: Smoke Screen by Dick Francis
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Re: set time, change owner name and password

Postby viking777 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:54 pm

And is there a way to change the root name and password?

Mint doesn't have a root name and password because it doesn't have a root account (unless you have added one). However if you want to change your sudo password you can do so by opening a terminal and typing

Code: Select all
sudo passwd

It will first ask you to enter your existing password and will then ask you to type a new password (twice in fact to make sure they match). Then the job is done.

It is impossible to change the name of 'root' to anything else afaik, but if you just want to change a user name then go into control centre/users and groups, add a new user, log in as the new user and delete the old one. It is not possible to change a user name or id whilst logged in as that user. The alternative is to use a live cd.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Return to Newbie Questions