How do I disable the Nouveau kernal driver?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
episode67

How do I disable the Nouveau kernal driver?

Post by episode67 »

Idk if this is newbie.. prob is but I'm running Linux Mint 10 "Julia".
Ive tried black listing it in 2 diff config files. did not work, i need to install my NVIDIA drivers and it wont let me becuase i have the Nouveau driver in use and I dont know how to disable it.
Someone please help me with this. :[
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: How do I disable the Nouveau kernal driver?

Post by richyrich »

Something to check, open Synaptic Package Manager, and type nv in the searchbox, now scroll through the list below, check anything that starts with nvidia- , All un-installed? if not, Mark for Removal . . now scroll down the same list and find xserver-xorg-video-nv and xserver-xorg-video-nouveau, and make sure they are un-installed / marked for removal too . apply / close / reboot and try your install again . .

good luck. :)
rcentros
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How do I disable the Nouveau kernal driver?

Post by rcentros »

episode67 wrote:Idk if this is newbie.. prob is but I'm running Linux Mint 10 "Julia".
Ive tried black listing it in 2 diff config files. did not work, i need to install my NVIDIA drivers and it wont let me becuase i have the Nouveau driver in use and I dont know how to disable it.
Someone please help me with this. :[
The way I did it, following someone else's advice, was to blacklist the Nouveau driver in Grub. That seems to be only way to get the "blankety-blank" thing to shut down.

Just go to your line in Grub and hit "e" for edit. Than add the following to your Grub line 'nouveau.blacklist=1'

The line (after being changed) will look like this...
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nouveau.blacklist=1"

(I can't remember if the quotes are actually there or not.) I also can't remember if I did this in the regular line -- or added as I booted to the next Grub option -- the one that let's you boot into the terminal.) At any rate, they key was getting "nouveau.blacklist=1" in Grub... somewhere. I think it was the second line and I just did it manually while I was booting.

Return to “Beginner Questions”