Question Before Installing

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ByteTraveler

Question Before Installing

Post by ByteTraveler »

I've been using Ubuntu for a couple of years now, and have become really frustrated with their unresponsiveness on an issue. Before changing-over to Mint, I'd like to know if this problem is addressed:

It is extremely annoying (to me) that Ubuntu will not (usually) remember window sizes & positions. Apparently, someone there feels it's more "productive" to manually (& needlessly) resize & reposition every single window every single time something is opened?

Before taking the plunge, I'd appreciate it if someone would tell me how Mint compares in this regard.

Thank you in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
solofrog

Re: Question Before Installing

Post by solofrog »

I know exactly what your talking about, and it will remember window sizes while your computer is on. Not sure about a reboot though.
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

I've never had an issue with Window Size in Mint. I maximize Firefox the first time I use it and regardless of whether I log out or reboot, it's the same size each time.

That being just one example, but I have never had to resize a Window everytime I reboot.

Have Fun,
Dave
Jix

Post by Jix »

Just out of curiosity I checked. Mint remembers window sizes and preferences, even after reboot.
ByteTraveler

Post by ByteTraveler »

Thanks for the replies... Sounds like Mint does correctly remember window sizes, but what about positions? That's what's killing me with Ubuntu... I have certain apps I like to run with windows in certain positions (and certain sizes)... Nothing fancy - Just the same thing you would expect with Windows, or Mac.

But Ubuntu always insists on opening everything flush-left on the screen, regardless of the size & position of the window the last time I used it.
Jix

Post by Jix »

It remembers most application positions (Firefox, Filezilla, Skype) but some I tried didn't work (Thunderbird). Mint comes with Compiz Place Windows installed. There are various options there, like centered, cascade, maximized. It has more advanced options like windows fixed positions. The advanced options seem like a bit of a hassle to setup cause you have to determine the coordinates of windows, but if it's really important to you, I guess you can set some windows to open in specific locations. Looks like this:

I hope this helps!!!
conslie

Post by conslie »

Size is remembered, but placing, by default, is smart in that it goes to the corner which means it covers up the least amount possible of the opened windows. Took a day or two for me to adjust to it. and another day to really appreciate it. There are many subtle differences between how Mint and m$ products work, and my experience has been to first adapt and then realize how much that change empowers the user.

As Jix noted, you can change this back, but, as with other differences, you might give it a few days trial first.

Return to “Beginner Questions”