ubuntubugs fixed???

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

ubuntubugs fixed???

Postby miltonjohn on Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:03 pm

hi there,

i want to know if mint fixes bug in ubuntu-releases?
ubuntu is the base of mint so i guess the develop-team fixes ubuntu-bugs, right?
or do they only take ubuntu and adding only the desk and codecs and other stuff i dont know right now...

please answer you might win a new user.... :)

greetings
miltonjohn
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Lolo Uila on Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:47 pm

Generally, no. Mint does not "fix" Ubuntu.

Mint does a few things differently, and that avoids some of the problems with Ubuntu (like using their own update manager) so Mint does work better for a lot of people, but it uses the Ubuntu code base.

What "bugs" are you having trouble with?

Aloha, Tim
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:41 pm

As Tim states we don't generally fix Ubuntu bugs but when we do our changes. Some bugs get fixed "on the fly" so to speak. Mostly things work better in Mint, and specifically wifi - we do bit of work there. On the other hand some find that wifi works better in Ubuntu. This is much a question of your hardware and installed programs (in that order)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:25 pm

All I can say is that for whatever reasons, Mint works and Ubuntu doesn't. I tried on 3 different laptops. Mint Always wins out. Celena for me hit the jackpot - it all just works on my Thinkpad!

Hope this helps.

Go for it!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mschilling on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:47 am

I recently reinstalled both Mint and Ubuntu with a new partition setup. This time I made an extended partition which included a /home partition. When I installed Ubuntu, it automatically started using the /home partition which was nice. Mint did not do this. Is there a setting when installing Mint to have it recognize an existing /home partition. This saves the work needed post installation everytime Mint is installed.
mschilling
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Lolo Uila on Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:09 pm

When you get to the partitioning part of the installer, choose manual and define the same /home partition. Also make sure that the format box is not checked for /home (it usually isn't by default).

Aloha, Tim
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:03 pm

@ mschilling
I'm surprised of your finding - Mint and Ubuntu uses the same installer - Ubiquity - so there should not be a difference
Was this detection of /home in the install phase, and if so at what time.
This is something people ask for in Mint and Ubuntu
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby mschilling on Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:27 am

Yes, after installing Ubuntu 7.10 I was pleased to see that my home folder showed the size of the /home partition. I was trying to figure out the difference between the two installations and what caused Ubuntu to use the home partition and not Mint. One possibility, I reasoned, is the checkbox for formatting the /home partition. Possibly I checked that for Ubuntu and not Mint (?) I can't be sure without going thru the procedure again (which I probably will ! )
mschilling
Level 2
Level 2

Postby mschilling on Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:52 am

Do I have to choose to format the /home partition when installing Mint? That seems to defeat the purpose of the /home partition though.
mschilling
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Sorensei on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:07 am

Well if there already is anything you wish too keep on your /home I'd advise against formatting it... as Tim mentioned a few posts back, too :wink:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Husse on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:47 pm

And you have to use manual partitioning (I think and inboth Ubuntu and Mint) to set the mount point for your /home partition as /home - and don't format - the purpose of a home partition is to save your "belongings"
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions