need working smb.conf

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
degarb

need working smb.conf

Post by degarb »

No problems with Internet . Home samba Networking was working here for a few hours except with one xp machine. Today nothing. Will not mount jack.

I need a good sample hosts file and good smb.conf. Also any missing repo programs I may be over looking. I may just wipe out linux and buy a copy of windows 7. Would hate to do that but wouldn't be spending week wrestling with samba.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: need working smb.conf

Post by DrHu »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=33561
And your question is what?
  • I don't describe to anyone what X?? is, but my configuration might be X??, can someone provide to me an smb.conf file that works with x??
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

The very best working smb.conf file is the one that ships with Mint. There's a copy of it at:

Code: Select all

/usr/share/samba/smb.conf
It does have one mistake in it in that it has "encrypt passwords = false". It should be set to true.

Don't have or use a hosts file since there is nothing wrong with my network. Hosts files are used when you have something wrong or complicated with your network and is not a samba problem.

Don't know what packages you have installed so I don't know what you need. I also don't know what OS you're running.

As for your comment about Win7 - don't buy anything less than Home Premium.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
degarb

Post by degarb »

altair4 wrote:The very best working smb.conf file is the one that ships with Mint. There's a copy of it at:

/usr/share/samba/smb.conf
It does have one mistake in it in that it has "encrypt passwords = false". It should be set to true.

Don't have or use a hosts file since there is nothing wrong with my network. Hosts files are used when you have something wrong or complicated with your network and is not a samba problem.

Don't know what packages you have installed so I don't know what you need. I also don't know what OS you're running.

As for your comment about Win7 - don't buy anything less than Home Premium.
I dont use dhcp but set all machines to static internal ip. Could that boink netowking? I am booted to live cd, I see the 3 workgroups but cant mount any.
degarb

Post by degarb »

Now it will not mount the linux shares. But it sees the windows xp share but asking a login. I see nothing on web for adding xp network users, nor can guess the login. It isn't the xp login to the machine.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Have you actually shared anything on the WinXP systems or do they all show up with a "$" sign after them , like C$, D$, ...

From Linux post the output of the following command so we can see at least one view of the network:

smbtree
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
degarb

Post by degarb »

I suspect I need to enable guest account on xp
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

You need to enable ( or restore ) Simple File Sharing on WinXP. This HowTo makes it far more complicated than it is but it's the first coherent thing I could find: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040
degarb

Post by degarb »

what are all packages needed to get samba/smb running and working with xp? Something horribly broken here. Off live cd, I finally mounted the main xp after enabling guest account. Now on installed Mint, I can only mount my own workgroup.

I am contemplating full reinstall, but know not what that entails or is all samba setting will be reset.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

From your installed Mint run the following command:

nautilus smb://192.168.0.100
Changing 192.168.0.100 to the ip address of the WinXP machine that you were able to access from the LiveCD.

What should happen is that it will mount the remote drive and launch Nautilus so you can see the shares.
degarb

Post by degarb »

altair4 wrote:From your installed Mint run the following command:

nautilus smb://192.168.0.100
Changing 192.168.0.100 to the ip address of the WinXP machine that you were able to access from the LiveCD.

What should happen is that it will mount the remote drive and launch Nautilus so you can see the shares.
You are a genius! Brilliant! I am humbled at your brilliance. I cannot mount squat via nautilus, until I did the terminal command! It is like the file browser would get woozey and stumble around drunk unable to find or mount a share. Give'm the chicks phone number and he mounts instantly.

I also suspect turning on guest account helped, since I was getting "you might not be authorized" error for the main xp shares, but not the linux. Last night. Today not mounting any workgroups. I could not turn on simple sharing since it is not an option anymore due to MS update. I added it via reg, but not sure what that did.

On a side note, I began a reinstall, but aborted since I saw-to my horror- that by design any reinstall wipes out the entire partition. I was suspecting it would only overwrite all directories except /home. But it doesn't look that way. So, I guess I need to gpart a home partion and mount it in fstab. I need a link if someone has a favorite instructions on this.

I will hold my breath and call it solved if the shares keep working through tomorrow. (via the nautilus smb://192.168.0.10 command.) And while I may have solve this for myself (fingers and eyes crossed) I feel this may be a bug. It could be solved with a popup telling the user to enable guest and try nautilus smb://192.168.0.xxx (or top of smb.conf file comment)
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

degarb wrote:I will hold my breath and call it solved if the shares keep working through tomorrow. (via the nautilus smb://192.168.0.10 command.) And while I may have solve this for myself (fingers and eyes crossed) I feel this may be a bug. It could be solved with a popup telling the user to enable guest and try nautilus smb://192.168.0.xxx (or top of smb.conf file comment)
..a popup telling the user to enable guest and try nautilus smb://192.168.0.xxx
Come on!, that's just a kludge to see the other machine, maybe it won't always be that private IP address, maybe it will be 172.xxx.xxx.xxx or 10.xxx.xxx.xxx
http://www.auditmypc.com/internal-ip-address.asp
  • What in the world is a Private or Natted IP?
    A natted IP address (network address translation, network masquerading, IP masquerading) is a simply a method in which the source and/or destination addresses of IP packets are rewritten as they pass through a router or firewall. A private IP addresses is usually what is rewriting and range from:
    10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
    172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
    192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

You could take this one step further since you have all static ip addresses on your machines. Once you do the smb://192.168.0.100 bookmark the SOB:
In Nautilus > Bookmarks > Add bookmarks.

It will show up under Places in Nautilus just like a "mapped drive" does in Windows. You can even rename it if you like.
degarb

Post by degarb »

altair4 wrote:You could take this one step further since you have all static ip addresses on your machines. Once you do the smb://192.168.0.100 bookmark the SOB:
In Nautilus > Bookmarks > Add bookmarks.

It will show up under Places in Nautilus just like a "mapped drive" does in Windows. You can even rename it if you like.
Yep! I set static internal ip, since this allows port forwarding. Without this, you cannot do games or serve webpages.
degarb

Post by degarb »

Now the problem is that vlc and other player will not play mp3 or mp4 over network. Playing these video and audio files play fine over network on Ubuntu 9 and xp. This a firewall issue or something else?
degarb

Post by degarb »

degarb wrote:Now the problem is that vlc and other player will not play mp3 or mp4 over network. Playing these video and audio files play fine over network on Ubuntu 9 and xp. This a firewall issue or something else?

I have checked vlc and up to date. If I copy a file over, it only gets about 7 kps on these hard wired machines. This is not wireless. I have turned off all windows av and firewall. Something is retarding the bandwidth.
degarb

Post by degarb »

degarb wrote:
degarb wrote:Now the problem is that vlc and other player will not play mp3 or mp4 over network. Playing these video and audio files play fine over network on Ubuntu 9 and xp. This a firewall issue or something else?

I have checked vlc and up to date. If I copy a file over, it only gets about 7 kps on these hard wired machines. This is not wireless. I have turned off all windows av and firewall. Something is retarding the bandwidth.
It topped out at 15 kps, about the isp upload speed. So it is taking 4 minutes to transfer 1.4 minutes of heavily compressed h.264 video. This is unacceptable. I just tried installing nfs, samba4.

The slow rate may be reason polling of network was taking forever and giving up.

Return to “Beginner Questions”